Chapter 28

Annabeth's POV

It wasn't true, Luke was lying to me. He had to be; it wasn't possible. Percy's fatal flaw was loyalty! Why would he turn against the Gods? Why would he betray his family? Why would he betray me?

Luke was wrong, Grover was wrong. Percy was not the man in gold. He was not the man that Thalia had told me about, the man responsible for Leo's death, for so many people's deaths. Percy was not evil!

Maybe someone was messing with him, maybe Luke and Grover didn't see the real Percy. Gods and Titans can change their appearance, that's probably what happened.

Yes, I decided. That was what happened. Some Titan had the awful idea to impersonate Percy. He was the real man in gold, not my Percy.

I sat up abruptly, an idea forming in my mind. I wiped the tears off my face and grabbed my mask. I couldn't risk someone recognizing me if I wanted to succeed.

Poseidon's POV

It was a typical night in the pits of hell, the usual punishments and tortures we've been subject to for forever. Time's difficult here. We had given up hope on being rescued centuries ago, or was it just a few years? When you're only able to focus on the pain you quickly loose track of time.

Things changed when the Titans started appearing. At first we didn't notice anything different other then our jailers being more angry then normal, which was saying something.

But then we saw the first Titan and then another, they had been banished back to Tartarus! Our children must have succeeded in overthrowing them! But why are we still here? Did some other deity succeed them?

I didn't dare ask but I couldn't stop wondering, especially when Kronos himself showed up. He was not happy.

I saw one of his brothers pointing over towards me. This couldn't be good. Was it not enough for me to be boiling alive? Must he come and humiliate me even more? What is this thanksgiving?

"I bet you would like to know how we defeated your campers and their soldier friends so easily," He smirked as he walked over.

If he was smirking that always meant he was about to say something I didn't want to hear.

"Truthfully I'm more interested in why you're in the gutter with us." I risked saying. Maybe that wasn't the wisest thing to do, but no one calls me the God of Wisdom.

He laughed as someone whipped me from behind, "Why it actually came at the hands of the same person, your beloved son."

What?

"Oh, did you not know?" He smiled. He knew something I didn't, and he knew it. "Your hero of Olympus caused your downfall, I guess he got sick of playing servant to all the Gods."

"Never, his fatal flaw was loyalty!" I spit at him. My son was dead. He had died before the Titans rose again, and even if he wasn't dead, he would never have joined Kronos. Would he?

I got five more lashes from the whip.

"Even if what you say is true, that the Sea Spawn was our downfall, he was also yours," Athena said from a few feet away. "Why be so happy about your own defeat?"

"Because he will soon realize the mistake he made, Mother will raise both her children and we will make that Percy Jackson pay for his disloyalty."

Grover's POV

"So, how did you see Percy?" I started, wanting to end the awkward silence.

"After the last battle. He appeared at our makeshift camp while I was on guard duty. He was bringing back Leo's body."

It took me a minute to process. Percy had shown up, holding a dead body, the body of one of his old friends, the body of one of his enemies.

"Did he say anything?" I asked.

"We talked, he told me that you already knew about him. I threatened to tell Thalia about him being alive, but I could never force myself to do it, especially after Annabeth joined. I didn't want to have to tell her what Percy had become," He seemed lost in thought for a minute, almost like he was debating if he should say something or not.

"He asked me to tell her that he couldn't join her. He wanted me to get the message to her so she would stop waiting for him."

"Instead, you brought Annabeth back from the dead and made her a part of the army. Did you ever plan to tell her the truth?" I asked. I understood why he didn't want to tell her, but she deserved to know. If I hadn't discovered that they were alive, would she have ever found out?

"Someday, maybe if Percy could be saved. Chaos said that he couldn't be though."

"Chaos? But you said that you never told him! How does he know then?" I asked, annoyed at Luke for lying to me.

"I said I never told him, I never said he didn't know. He mentioned a few times that Percy had made his choice and we couldn't save him from himself." Luke explained as he sat down on the couch.

"How did you find out he was alive?" Luke asked, changing the direction of the conversation.

"He kidnapped me." I stated.

"You're kidding," Luke grinned.

"Nope," I said as I sat down next to him, "I thought he was going to kill me."

"What happened?"

"It was a few minutes before that battle, he grabbed me and teleported me to Mount Othrys. After he told the Titans to attack, he brought me to some woods in the middle of nowhere. He tried to convince me not to fight. I ignored him, I went anyways, but by the time I got to camp, the battle was over. I convinced some of the dryads and nymphs that were still around to help me make shrouds for the dead. Percy probably saved my life by keeping me out of that fight."

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Luke asked, "When was the second time?"

"A few minutes ago. I was walking along the beach when he appeared. He told me you and Thals were alive before he left. I think he wanted to tell me something, but that new kid came down to the beach and Percy had to leave." I decided to leave out the detail where Percy had knocked the boy out, or whatever it was he had done.

"Did he know about the Titans?"

"Yes, he did actually, why?"

"Well, if he was still helping them, he might know who destroyed them," Luke trailed off.

"We know who destroyed them don't we? Didn't the kid tell you? It was his friend, or something wasn't it?" I asked, not wanting Luke to say the words I was thinking.

"Yes, but what if the Glitter kid didn't want to say his name because it was a well-known name, what if Glitter was Percy?"