Chapter 10

"Honey, why don't you finish your food already, it's getting cold," My mom said, cleaning up the table.

I nodded as my response. She gave me a kiss on top of my head and left me. I finished my food afterward and cleaned my plate. I went up to my room and plopped down on my bed with a long sigh.

I stared up at the ceiling, as if in a trance. I felt guilty and bad for getting pissed at Lucy. Especially when she didn't know why I was glaring at her. It wasn't fair to her, and I owe her an explanation and an apology. I didn't even know why I believed the rumor, knowing her for more than a month already. I'm always with her, and I should know her better by now. But I didn't know why I was disappointed when I heard what the two girls were talking about a while ago. When I got in my car, Lexi knew that something was off and asked me why I was quiet. I just told her that I was sleepy. Right away, she knew that I was lying. She just didn't push it. And that's one of the things I appreciate about her.

Snapping out of my trance, I decided to go for a walk to the park. Whenever I'm stressed out or sorting things out, I always go to the park. It's the best place to go and think other than in the shower. I got up, taking a glimpse through the window beside my bed. Lexi was dancing with Kayla, twirling her around while they're laughing freely. I smiled to myself, feeling happy for the lovebirds.

I grabbed the hoodie that Lucy gave me when we were in the theater. A hint of coconut was still lingering, and it reminded me of her even more. And because of that, my guilt was even stronger than it used to be. I made my way down and outside of the house, closing the door slowly and silently, hoping it won't wake my parents up.

It was a cold windy night, leaves falling from the trees as I walked quietly. The wind was messing my hair, so I placed the hood on my head to avoid it getting more messed up. The park wasn't that far, and it's in the middle of my house and Lucy's.

The place was always packed in the morning, and empty at night. There's this big lake, and in the middle of it was a wide bridge; street lamps were in both corners of the bridge, and there was a bench placed under a big oak tree. This was where I would always sit and spend my time to think. There's no crime rate here at our place, so it's safe to wander around at night.

Crossing over the bridge, a woman was sitting on the bench, her face was covered by her hands. I was shocked because this was the first time I found someone here at this hour. She removed her hands, figuring she heard my footsteps and looked up at me, eyes wide.

"Amber." She gaped.

"Lucy,"

"What are you doing here?" We both asked at the same time. I chuckled awkwardly as she motioned me to answer first.

"I uh... I couldn't sleep. You?"

"Same."

"Wanna make room for me?" I pointed at the small space on the bench.

She scooted over and patted the space beside her, waiting for me to sit down. As I sat down, silence fell over us. The wind howled and brushed against our skins, strands of hair blocked my face and I tucked it behind my ears.

The awkward tension grew, and Lucy can't stand it. She turned her face and body to me, finally spoke, "You're thinking about something, aren't you?"

I nodded. "I was thinking about you,"

She raised an eyebrow, smirking a bit. "Are you now?" Her expression turned lighter than before. It's like all her worries disappeared.

"Not like... That kind of way that you're thinking, b-but like thinking about you in a like a uh... Friendly way, do you know what I mean?" I stammered.