Chapter 22

When I woke up this morning, my phone was filled with notifications from my friends, including Reed and Blaire. Lexi was the first one to greet me. She surprised me by going through my window with her gift for me. Kayla wanted to give me my present herself; same with Lucy. I told them that we'll be hanging out tomorrow since today was Christmas and I always celebrate my birthday with my family and Lexi's.

Lucy sent dozens of videos, pictures of herself, and voice messages. Singing happy birthday, telling me to have fun today and to enjoy, and that she can't wait to see me. Such a clingy person she was.

I asked my best friend to help me clear up the driveway, she said yes but not before we clean up their driveway first. I said yes, and it took us an hour to clear their driveway. 15 minutes have gone by and Lexi looked like she was gonna pass out.

"Keep shoveling the driveway!" I called out.

"Ambs, I'm tired. Let me rest, please?" Lexi whined, dropping the shovel to a patch of snow.

"Come on, Lex. I helped you clean your driveway. Now, let's finish cleaning my driveway," I let out a breath, fixing my beanie.

"But I'm exhausted!" She laid down on the pathway.

"It's my birthday today," I reminded her again.

There's a long pause before she muttered something under breath. She got up, dusted her pants which was covered in snow. "That's unfair,"

I grinned. "Love you so much, Lexi!"

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

"And I'm already 18 meaning I'm the oldest, so better respect and follow me, young lady," I said.

"Who are you, my mother?"

"No, I am your father." I mimicked Darth Vader's voice.

"Why do you always use movie references?" She scooped some snow and shaped it into a ball and threw it in my direction.

"Cause I love movies?" I dropped my shovel and made a snowball. I aimed it at her face and threw it. It did hit her on her face.

"Amber!" She screamed.

"I thought I was gonna miss. Sorry!" I laughed.

"No, you're not!"

"You're right. Can't help it, Lex! All I can see is your face turning into a target board. You should see how red your nose is," I grinned, making another ball.

"You should see how red your face is. It matches our doormat! Makes me wanna step all over your face!" Her nose flared as she starts forming a bigger ball.

"Are you gonna throw that at me?" I pointed at the basketball-sized snowball that she was carrying.

"Right to your face, yep!"

I rubbed my hands together. "She's gonna miss this one," I whispered to myself. "I'm ready!"

She positioned herself to get a better throw. She swung her hands over her head and with all the strength she could muster, the ball flew in the air and for a second, I thought that she really was going to miss. Me being so slow, I forgot that Lexi was good at throwing stuff, the ball landed on my face, knocking me down to the ground.

A cackle echoed throughout the neighborhood. I'm sure some people looked through their window out of curiosity. My body shivered as I felt colder, wiping the snow off my face with a grunt.

"You okay there, bud?"

"Oh yeah. Totally fine," I said sarcastically, standing up.

"Amb-" She was cut short by her laughter again. Probably because she saw how red my face was. I'm a pale person and I get red easily.