Chapter 23

There are nights where I have a smile on my face or a frown. But I could count those times where I had a smile more than I could count those times I had a frown. Have you ever had those nights where you feel empty or just feel nothing? Just thinking about stuff in life before going to sleep. I have those nights.

But this night, I had the widest smile I've ever worn in my entire life.

I put on my hoodie over my tank top and wore my coat. It was snowing outside and it was super cold. My PJs were thick enough to keep me a bit warm so I didn't bother to change it. I grabbed my gift and put it in my pocket. My parents were in the room, probably sleeping already. I took the house key and locked the front door.

The snow was falling beautifully; Christmas lights filled the whole neighbourhood. Even on a silent night, everything seemed to be so alive. This year, people put a lot more decorations on their houses and lawn. It reminded me of the movie Christmas With The Kranks. That's what the neighborhood looked like. It was just magical.

I tucked my hands in my pockets, feeling myself smile as the thought of seeing Lucy. There were some houses that had their lights still on, people were still in the dining area, talking and drinking champagne or maybe hot chocolate, and some were opening their gifts.

The moment the park came into sight, my feet managed to walk faster like it had its own mind. I saw Lucy sitting patiently on the bench, looking like she's pondering. I rolled a small snowball between my hands and threw it at her, taking her by surprise.

"Amber, you jerk!" She gasped, removing the snow from her face and jacket.

"Whoops!" I laughed, sitting beside her, I placed a kiss on her flushed cheeks.

Her glare suddenly softened and her cheeks turned even more red. "Was that on purpose?"

"It seemed like you were in a deep trance. Just doing a reality check on you." Just like this morning, I had another snow fight. But this time, it was with Lucy.

She got up from the bench, taking a fistful of snow to throw at me. She swung her arm and the ball flew and landed on the ground beside me.

"That's the best you got? Boring,"

"You wanna see my best?" She threw another, and this time she almost got me. Luckily I dodged it fast enough.

"That was it? Even more boring,"

"Amber!"

"Lucy," I mocked.

"You're so annoying!"

"Tell me something I don't already know! It's getting irritating to hear it all the time," I made a ball, aiming at her as she stretched her hands in front of her. I let out a sigh and flashed her a grin. "Now, wanna see my best?"

"Amber! Stop- Ambe- hey! You hit my boobs!" I kept throwing snowballs. "Wait wait, wait! I might forget to give you my gift,"

I dropped the ball I was making, exhaling, and watching the misty cloud that escaped my mouth disappear. She took a sit and patted the empty space, me following her after. It almost slipped out of my mind, good thing she remembered cause I wouldn't.

She handed me a beautiful box and it was heavy. My curiosity was killing me, without waiting for her permission, I ripped the wrapper into shreds while Lucy was chuckling at me. My mouth hung open as I saw a set of books that I've been dying to buy.

"Luce... Where did you get this? This set is always sold out!"

"Took me a bit to search online. Then Lena told me that her best friend's brother's girlfriend knows the author and we got that set from the author itself,"