The Camp

The unbreakable vow between Claire,  William and Bill eight years ago seemed to have no effect today. The only power it has was keeping Mona in the Black Moon Pack alive yet miserable. 

Mona's life was miserable eversince her mother died.  Her father cannot stand her presence,  she'll receive a beating just for breathing.  The adults are all hesitant to even look at her,  and the children,  exclude her in their games.  She's not part of any circle.  She have no social life. And it's okay.  As long as she have her Granny Josephine.  She is the only person who took her in.  Cared for her even if she was treated badly by others,  loved her even if her own father cannot. Believed in her even if she doubted herself. 

Josephine has been the housekeeper of the Mayfield home eversince Bill himself was just a kid.  She took care of him herself and now his daughter.  She served the Mayfields all her life and Bill respected her like his own mother. At 70, she is still as strong and sharp as she was seventeen.
"Granny,  look!  Daddy signed it!" Mona said brightly at her, the paper in her hand. 
"That's great, Honey.  I know you'll have a great time there." she hugged the girl.  For her age,  she is rather small and skinny.  She has light blond hair,  almost silver with streaks of brown strands.  She hate the thought of sending her away to the camp but her father cannot care less.  The other pups treat her badly and it hurts her to see wounds after her ventures outside.  Mona on the other hand just ignores all of it.  She loves the outdoors.  She has fascination with plants and flowers and painting.  No wonder,  it has become her hobbies. 
"This is not the life that you deserve, sweetheart. You should be happy playing outdoors with friends... " her mind speaks sadly.
"I can't wait to see the majestic falls!  Just so you wait Gran, I'll draw a splendid picture of it for you!!!" Mona said even brighter looking up at her with eyes twinkling with delight. 

It was her eyes that has become the object of ridicule. Her mismatched eyes were a curse and may bring bad luck to anyone who sees it and eventually,  the pack where she belongs.  But for Josephine,  it was the eyes of the goddess herself.  She sees purity and warmth in her eyes.  The right eye was blue, it was pale blue like the blue moon when she was born. And the left was a beautiful amber. The goddess' eye as she called it.
"I'll start packing!" Mona swiftly run upstairs to her room. She's one ball of energy indeed. She just shakes her head and started to prepare dinner. 

" I told you before William, but you did not believe me!" Miranda was yelling in front of the Alpha.  "5 of our finest men died of this rouge attacks! I told you!  One misfortune followed by another.   This happens because of that cursed girl! Because you were stupid not to believe in me!!!"
"Stop it Miranda...My head's already aching..." he said keeping his cool while massaging his temples.  Last night,  the guards watching over the territory were attacked by rogues. Last winter, a severe snowstorm struck them.  2 families died in an avalanche near their home.  Last autumn, kids were sick.  Even his son Tristan got sick.  During the past eight years, a lot of unfortunate events has happened in the pack.  Although, it is foolish to  blame an innocent child for it all,  he is now starting to believe his wife.  However,  her constant nags irritates him even more.  And at top of that, there was the unbreakable vow.  It means death for him and his bloodline once he reversed the vow.  His head ached even more.
"This has to stop! We have to kick her out of the pack!" Miranda said firmly. 
He looked at her furiously.  "Don"t touch the girl!"
"I won't... I have a plan. " she said with a smirk. 

"You take care of yourself Sweetie." Granny Jo was sending Mona off to the camp. 
"Yes Gran! I promise I will. " she said sweetly. 
"Your lunch is in your bag. And in case you get hungry along the way, there are more snacks in the pockets." Granny Jo said with a wink. The school buses were waiting in the Pack's Square a few meters away from their house.
"I'll have to go!  See you soon Gran!" she kissed the old woman's face.  She looked up and saw her father peeking behind the curtains, she waved her hand to him and send him a kiss.  He immediately closed it off. 
"See you,  Sweetie. Have a good time!" Josephine said while waving her hand.  Mona sprinted to the square. 

When Mona reached the square,  the other pups were already there.  She immediately went to the last of the line.  Her place. 
"What is she doing here?" one girl whispered rather loudly to her friend while eyeing her.  In the crowd of children,  she definitely stands out. The Black Moon pack is known for having dark colored hair - from brown to black.  Only she has a lighter toned hair. No other kid has hair as light as hers,  not even light brown.  She unconciously touched her braided hair.  She has perfectly straight light blonde almost silver hair with streaks of brown strands.  Mismatched eyes,  one pale blue, the other amber.  Creamy skin under her khaki camp uniform and  lips as red as apples.  But no one appreciates her looks.  Not once. Not ever.  That is because she is the cursed child.  She instantly lowers her eyes.  At eight, she knows how to avoid trouble,  only that trouble loves her anyway. 

"Move aside, freak!" a chubby boy named Burris Long shoved her almost pushing her. 
"It's okay Mona.  You cant see them.  You cant hear them." she said to herself.

Slowly,  the children went in the bus.  As usual, no one wants to sit with her nor offer a seat to her.  She looked around until she reached the back of the bus,  but a group of boys has occupied it already.  Looking angrily at her,  she knows what they mean.  She have no choice but to stand up all through an hour of bumpy ride to the northern woods. The bus went to a sharp turn and she wasnt able to hold still she fell face first on the floor.  Everyone laughed.  She repeated her mantra in her head. "Ignore them Mona. You cant see them,  you cant hear them."
At last,  after an ardous drive they finally reached the camp.  Fun activities as well as delicious foods awaits!

The camp master came up.  A petite yet athletic woman with a pixie cut hair.  The kids fall in line. 
"Listen up Campers!" her yell echoed around. For a small woman like her,  she has a ground-breaking voice.
"I am your Camp Master for this year's camp feast!" She announced. "My name is Tori Kane. And all of you should follow all my orders once you are in my camp! You have to follow your troup leaders, they will orient you with the do's and don'ts while you are here."  A group of 12 year-olds came marching in.  There were 10 of them. They are the troup leaders.
"Mess hall's on the right.  Quarters are on the left.  Camp haven lies behind me and endless excitement lies therein!" She said energetically.

"Now, all of you will be grouped into ten teams, each with 10 members each. 5 boys and girls. Selected by alphabetical order, " Mona tensed up when she heared the order.  It only means she will be grouped with the meanest bullies in town.  Oh no. 
"When your name is called,  come forward and receive your group's badge and stay behind the troup leader assigned to your group. Understood?!?"
An echoing yes responded. 
Ms. Kane started calling out names.  There were ten groups in all.  All named after flowers. Rose,  Tulips,  Dandelion,  Iris,  Hibiscus,  Orchid,  Daisy,  Bluebell,  Lily and Snapdragon. She's in Lily.  Ms. Kane's voice continued calling out their names. 

Logan,  Myrtle

Lundres,  Rhoda Jane

Madison, Faye Paula

Mason,  Julia

Mayfield, Mona Elara

The moment her name was called,  everything seemed to stay still,  even the wind. All eyes filled with indifference looked at her. She stepped up and received her badge.  A Lily flower was engraved in the bronze badge.
"Let me pin it." Ms. Kane said kindly.
"Thank you, Ma'am." She did not dare to look in her eyes. 

She moved towards a 12 year old boy with chestnut brown hair and a piercing stare in his hazel eyes. She recognized him immediately. He was the alpha's son, Tristan Jones, as enigmatic as his father and was their assigned troup leader. All her groupmates were looking at her with disgust especially Paula and Myrtle. 

"Yikes, she's in our group!  Now,  this means she'll jinx our chances of winning the games!!" Paula eyed Mona with hatred.  Myrtle just glared at her.  She lowered her eyes while passing by them until she reached the end of the line and waited until everyone was settled in a group. 

"Now,  let this year's Camp Feast begin!!!" Ms.  Kane boomed in her energetic megavoice, all birds flew away.