The Next Queen

It is really happening. Henry Madison rejected her. She bowed her head and cried like she never did before. The pain is too unbearable for it. Henry too is in pain. Both parties will be affected by breaking the mate-bond and the pain is not funny.
"Mona... I'm so sorry. But please---please let me go... " he whispered crying. Henry sounds pitiful, who would have thought that this one-of-a-kind man whom every woman begs for attention is now begging her just to let him go? Mona clearly understands Henry's situation. Having such courage to break the mate-bond to follow his heart is rare. She have no choice but to let go.
"I, Mona Elara Mayfield, accepts this rejection from you, Vince Henry Madison. May you find happiness to wherever your heart will lead you... " she whispered, restraining her sobs. He hugged her and whispered thanks to her ear. "I wish you the best." she said as she looked at his eyes. "Thank you..." he murmured.
She can't take it anymore, she left him and ran to her room. There she wept bitter tears.

"I told you not to raise your hopes up." her wolf pronounced at the back of her mind
"Why did you not stop him?!?" Mona muttered angrily.
"He is wounded too, Mona. His wolf by far is more hurt. Besides, you are not invested to him yet and it's a good thing because the pain from the broken bond will not last long. He don't deserve us." her wolf lectured her sternly.
"Can you feel it too? This misery?"
"Yes of course! I am not numb, Mona. I can feel the effects of broken bond too. So gather yourself now. You had enough crying to last you a lifetime. We will never be crying again, remember that." It proclaimed with finality and conviction

Mona did not know what time she fell asleep last night. She just woke the next day with the sun's rays hitting her face. There was a knock on the door.
"Mona, time for breakfast!" Troy uttered in a loud voice, his knocks seem to break the door. Mona lazily rise up and opened the door.
"Hold up tough guy, I'm awake." she yawned in front of him. "What time is it?"
"Past eight? Look at you! " he exclaimed.
"What?!?"
"You look like a piece of shit! Go, do something with your face, take a shower, whatever! Quick!" He is pushing him to her bathroom.
"The heck,Troy??"
"This is heck Mona. You are!" he said, facing her in the mirror, his strong grip on her shoulders. Her reflection shows a very stressed face, dark circles under her puffy eyes, sagging eyebags, dry skin and chapped lips, not to mention her hair like a bird's nest. "Go and fix yourself!" he demanded as he picked and throw a towel on her face.
"Yes, Mom!" she rolled her eyes at him.
"Get down when you're done. Breakfast's ready." he announced before leaving her room.
Mona can still feel the ache of yesterday.
"You will do just fine, heart. It's okay." she murmured, massaging her chest.

Henry lay awake all night. He's still in bed, his eyes fixed on the ceiling. He can't believe that he rejected his mate. Maybe he is the first man in their town's history to ever reject a mate. He grunted and turned sideways. It was Mona Mayfield anyway, the town freak and the silver rat, the cursed girl. Paula was the happiest when she learned that she rejected Mona. She did not even bother if he will be affected by it as long as he gets rid of her. She emphasized that she will never accept her as a sister-in-law! No wonder, Paula have never liked Mona, like EVER! But his heart is mad and his wolf madder at him. Craig, his wolf is not talking to him since he rejected her. He was totally head-over-heels with Mona's wolf, and is determined to ignore him. He keeps howling in his head and giving snide remarks at him making him feel insane. Henry just hopes that Craig will be as understanding as Mona. If only he had not given his heart long ago, he would have taken Mona. She has an air of confidence in her and a heart so pure. Amidst her cruel experiences with the people around her, she still keeps a straight and brave face on, and forgives them. If it was him in her position, he would have hated the world. Her wolf is something to be feared too. It was strong, unforgiving and somehow dark, he even trembled when he saw it during the rogue's attack in their town. He must face this. He can go on just like Mona Mayfield. Besides,  there's a party he needs to attend.
"Henry? Son!" his father knocks on his door. He opened the door and saw his father,  looking seriously at him.
"Mr.  Mayfield is here... " his father announced.