Chapter 15 | Her Second Sin

Jingrui let out a whimper as she tried to tug her wrist from Prince Zhanying's strong grip. He drew his brows together, realising he was hurting her and quickly let go.

A wince spread over her face as she twirled her sore and bruised wrist, trying to ease the pain. Was he really intending to snap her bones in half?

Prince Zhanying waved his hand up, letting silver light dart from his fingertips and lighting all the candles within the Ancient Archive.

The flame shone against his complexion, and Jingrui's heart took a leap as she scanned him up and down. The man that stood before her, at that moment, was completely different from the injured man that had stayed in her room. A neat, black hanfu, adorned with gold, trailed onto the floor. Jewels and jades clad over his fingers, glinting as the flickering candlelight reflected against them. His presence emitted supremacy, like the revered God of War he was, and his figure radiated the elegance of a Prince.

Prince Zhanying angled his head to the side, feeling her gaze analysing him, and Jingrui immediately dropped to her knees. "G-Greetings, God of War." She closed her eyes and cursed at herself. Her past and present actions jittered in her head as she squinted her eyes shut.

"Get up," he demanded, his voice frosting her heart.

Jingrui shook her head rapidly as she refused to get up. Her head bowed low, her forehead touching the dusty floor.

Prince Zhanying let out a sigh as he crouched in front of her. "Did Yuansong not tell you that the archive is restricted?"

She trembled under his intense gaze, her voice was seized in her throat. Gulping hard, she forced herself to speak, "He did, Your Highness."

A dangerous smile danced over his lips as he hunched forward. His breath swept against her ears, adding shivers to her frantic trembling. "And do you know the consequences?"

She bit the seam of her lip and clenched her fists tightly against the tail of her clothes. She shook her head, her blood running cold.

His lips grazed against her earlobe, and her body turned from ice to fire. "Death."

Fear fogged her mind, and she could no longer think straight. The Prince was taunting her with every breath he drew. She inhaled and with all her strength, she pushed his chest hard, causing him to fall back against the floor. He groaned and sat back up. His dark hair swept over his face, casting menacing shadows over the amusement in his eyes. His hanfu loosely set on his body as he glared up at her.

Jingrui's heart pounded against her chest, and she covered her hands over her face. Without thinking, she took a run. As she exited the archive, she swore a heavenly oath that all her life, she would never step foot into the archive again.

Jingrui knew that if Prince Zhanying wanted to keep her from fleeing, he could have, considering that he held the strength of the world in his palms. Yet, she was able to push him away in a flit. Either he was willing to let her go or he was still injured from that night. It was likely the latter. With so many threats running through his eyes, there was no way he would let her head continue to float on her shoulders.

━━━━━━━━━━━━

If you enjoyed, please smash that golden star and make my day.