Chapter 82 | God of War's Gift

The room became engulfed in a shadow as dark clouds hovered overhead, blocking lights from shining through the glass plane above. Glancing at Prince Zhanying, Jingrui's throat felt closed up.

Despite cladding himself in gold and silver, Prince Zhanying didn't radiate with confidence. He looked paler than the white hanfu he wore. Colours were drained from him, blending him in with the marble decors. There was a fire in his eyes, but it looked as if they were burning their last ashes. He took a step forward with a taunting smile, threatening those on the high thrones.

Yihuai was covered in sweat, and Lingyue's eyes were narrowed. The guests, maids, and guards all shifted in discomfort at the change of atmosphere.

Yunyin fidgeted in his seat. "W-What is the meaning of this, Zhanying?"

Prince Zhanying let out a chuckle as he gestured to the man beside him. There was a reluctance within the man's figure as he stepped forward. Slowly, he lifted his hood, and the solemn face of the Third Uncle Yunru came into view. His brows knitted, forming distressed creases.

Jingrui's heart pulsed. Her body turned to stone as she held in her urge to launch forward.

Lingyue was not any less angry than Jingrui. Her eyes convulsed with rage. "Yunru," she spat, her red nails digging into her intertwined palms. She shot up from her seat, knocking over the cups and plates on her table. Her enraged finger pointed straight at Prince Zhanying. "W-What are you planning to do, God of War? The respectful guests are all here, and today is your father's birth anniversary. You have the audacity to put on a condescending show such as this—"

"Calm down, Empress Dowager." Amusement etched across Prince Zhanying's face. "I'm only here to present a gift to my father. My father has fallen ill since my mother had died—oh no, died is not quite the word, murdered."

Lingyue's pursed lips quivered as her pupils turned into a slit. "What does this have to do with anything? How dare you bring up an inauspicious incident during an auspicious day?"

Prince Zhanying chuckled, and his voice rang throughout the hall. Shivers slithered down Jingrui's spine at the tinge of bitterness within his voice.

"Why are you fretting, Empress Dowager? I'm only here to present my father a gift. He cherished my mother, and in his long life, he has been seeking the truth." He angled his head to the side, staring up at Yunyin. "I've found it all, Father, the evidence to convict the culprit who killed my mother. I've worked hard all these years just to compile this gift for you."

Yunyin's eyes flickered with pain. "You found evidence of Chen's death? Who killed my Chen?"

Prince Zhanying chuckled again, and he pointed his shaky finger towards the Empress Dowager on the high throne. "Your beloved wife."

Yunyin dropped back into his throne. "W-What do you mean?" His face turned ghastly. "Lingyue killed Chen? L-Lingyue killed my Chen?"

Gasps from high deities rang throughout the hall, and they all grabbed their teacups, sipping it.

Jingrui's heart pounded hard as she watched Lingyue's malicious deeds being exposed right before her. For the first time since she had entered the Heavenly Palace, she felt that the crescent moon had a chance of becoming full again.

Lingyue wrapped her fists around a dining knife and pointed it at Prince Zhanying. "Absolutely despicable! Who are you to accuse your superior like this? What do you think you are planning to do?"

Prince Zhanying smiled. "Revolt."

The crowd went silent, and suddenly, the hall was rid of motion. The air thickened with substantial tension, making everyone gulped. Within the utter silence, Jingrui could hear her own heartbeat thumping against her ears, and she could hear the faded sound of rain, patting against the glass plane above her head. She glanced up at the roof that shaped the dome. Through the glass, a blanket of dark clouds covered the sky.