[WAX] Chapter 57 | Trust

WAX | 舞尽红海 Dance End in Red Sea Arc

***

The darkest shadow still hovered over the roof of the Floating Abyss Palace. The coldness that seeped within every cobblestone still lingered. The lotus pond and the flower garden were still wilted and colourless.

Yet, Jingrui found it warm. She felt as if she had returned to her haven, to the walls she could sleep in peace at night.

When they arrived back, she was so exhausted that Yuansong had to drag her into her chambers. Upon her bed and with her wearing senses, she heard Prince Zhanying converse with Yuansong. The Prince said that she was weak and frail because she had been dosed with poison and hard weather conditions growing up.

How did he know?

Jingrui was too tired to ponder over it, and she curled up in her bed before drifting into a long sleep.

It must have been at least a few days before she awoke from her slumber. She yawned and stretched her limbs, feeling fresh like a blossomed flower dewed in the morning mist.

When she was wide awake, a voice immediately jolted bright. "Jingrui, you're awake!"

Jingrui rubbed her eyes as she glanced up to spot Xiaobai, sitting by the floor table amidst her room. But that was not the only shocking thing, her room was thick with the smell of jiu⁶. She coughed. "Open the window, open the window!" The sickening smoke filled her lungs, and Xiaobai ran to open all the windows within her room.

She coughed and breathed hard before looking up at Xiaobai. "Why is there that medication smell in my room?"

Xiaobai lit up with a wide smile as she hopped to her side and took a seat beside her. "Prince Zhanying came in here and lit it all over your room. He instructed that I keep the incense burner burning at all times!" Judging from Xiaobai's dreamy eyes, she must have been at her highest reverie getting to talk to the Prince.

Jingrui rubbed her forehead. "He really doesn't know how much I hate this smell."

Xiaobai grinned and poured her a cup of water. "The Prince seems to care a lot for you."

Jingrui almost choked on the water at Xiaobai's words. She scoffed and placed down the cup. "So, why are you here, Xiaobai?"

Xiaobai didn't seem to mind her change of topic and clasped her hands together. "Well, long story short, you were quite battered up when you came back here, so Yuansong came to get me. He told me to take good care of you. Naturally, I would because you are my best friend in the Palace." She inched closer and lowered her voice. "But also because I feel like I've been blessed. Finally, I got to step into the inner courtyard and stay here for days. Plus, I even got to meet the God of War!"

Jingrui smiled. "Then I will ask His Highness to let you stay here with me. This room is really big, and I feel bored staying here by myself."

Sparkles grew inside Xiaobai's large eyes, and she lunged herself at Jingrui, wrapping her arms around her neck. "You are so nice to me, Jingrui!" Xiaobai grinned as she let go of her and sat back down. "By the way, you should go tell the Prince you are awake."

"I don't think he'd be interested in knowing if I'm awake." Jingrui stood up and stretched her body that had been curled in bed for too long. "But since I'm really hungry, and I kind of miss being reprimanded by him, I'll pay him a visit." With that, her lips curved up, and she hopped out the door and towards the Prince's quarters.

Opening the door to his quarters, Prince Zhanying was sitting in front of his floor table with his chin rested on his hand. He did not lift his gaze up as he glanced at the unfinished Wei Qi¹⁴ Game before him.

"Come, play Go with me, Bao Bao," he called.

Jingrui pointed at herself and shook her head rapidly. She plopped down in front of him. "Is Your Highness that bored that you are playing Go against yourself?"

"Precisely. It has been far too quiet with you out cold," he told her as he placed down a pawn. "But since you were out, I've been thinking through all that has passed. You owe me quite a lot."

A frown etched across her face. "Your Highness can't be as petty as to think of collecting debt with someone like me, right? I don't have anything I can give you. . ."

"Let's see . . . Indeed there's not much you can give me. You're too soft for me to use as a pawn, and you are too clumsy to work properly as a maid." He looked up at her with a taunting smile. "Perhaps you can seduce my brother. You are quite competent at it—seduction."

"You must be kidding."

Amusement ran in his eyes as he scanned his board, devising where to place the pawn in his hand. "I've been thinking of how to lower Yihuai's guard. And I distinctly remember that his hobby is to sleep with beautiful maidens and raise a harem."

"You can't be thinking of sending me. . ." she fumed as she scrambled to his side and peered up at his face. "Your Highness, do you really have the heart to. . ."

At her words, an odd softness flashed over his eyes. He kept his gaze fixed on the checkerboard. "If you don't want to get sent there, be good and don't cause any more trouble from now on. Since I have fought against Yihuai's army, I don't know how he will make me repent for it."

"He couldn't possibly do anything to Your Highness, right?"

"That's not up to me to decide," he muttered and knitted his brows together. "Besides, it doesn't matter. What matters is that, from this day forth, you will be good and stay in the inner courtyard. Madam Fu will take care of you, and I will move Xiaobai in with you to keep you company."

Jingrui should have felt happy that Prince Zhanying had arranged everything for her and put her in a position she didn't feel like a maid anymore. Yet, her heart throbbed as if she could foresee the peril that would soon overcome the Floating Abyss Palace.

"Why, Your Highness?" she asked beneath her breath. "Why can't I leave the inner courtyard?"

He rubbed his temples and his face darkened. "Just listen to me and stay in here. I can't let Yihuai use you against me."

"I don't understand."

"You don't need to," he told her. "Do you trust me?"

In her life, apart from her sister, her master, and her senior, no one else was worthy of her trust. The adversities of the past had taught her that within this vast land, no one could be trusted but herself. Yet as she stared into his eyes, she became a moth drawn to a flame. And no matter what was to happen in the future, she felt as if she could give her trust to him.

And perhaps, she could even give him her whole heart.

Jingrui nodded. "I trust you."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

If you enjoyed, please smash that golden star and make my day. ♡