Chapter 61 | Disobedient

Zhanying had met countless women in his life, but he had never met anyone as soft, as weak, and as pure as Jingrui. Yet, she wanted to protect him.

As he walked in front of her towards the Cold Paradise Palace, the dwelling of the former Heavenly Emperor Yunyin, he was determined to keep her safe. Maybe it was because she had once saved him, or maybe it was because his biological father was her master. All he knew was, he wanted to cherish and keep the look in her innocent eyes untainted for as long as he lived.

Soon, they arrived at the Cold Paradise Palace. The large main courtyard was always the same, decorated with the most colourful silks and tapestries. Lotuses bloomed as the sun brightened over the Palace walls. The marble pillars and gold arches towered to form a large study hall.

The Cold Paradise Palace was always safe, and so, he turned to Jingrui whose eyes glowed with wonder. "Wait for me outside. I'll have a brief talk with Father. Afterwards, I'll take you where you wish to investigate. In the meantime, don't wander anywhere, understand?"

She nodded, her eyes not leaving the glorious sights. He sighed, seeing as she was distracted enough and headed into the study hall.

Closing the door behind him, the study greeted him with enshrouding gloom. The curtains were drawn across all the windows to obscure the room. All the candles on the stands had turned into a pool of wax. The incense burner was no longer burning, leaving the room to smell like old paper parchments and musty dirt.

Former Heavenly Emperor Yunyin sat by the floor table amidst the study, and Zhanying took a step forward before bowing at him. "Father."

Yunyin coughed as he peered his dull eyes up to Zhanying. Creases of wrinkles drowned over his face, robbing him of the youth immortals held. "Zhanying. You have finally paid me a visit. Come here. Come to Father."

Zhanying took a deep breath, his feet remained glued to his spot. "Father. I have just returned from my campaign to the Jade Dragon Mountain."

His father's hoarse cough grew louder, and he wiped his sleeve over his long beard. "The Jade Dragon Mountain? The Mountain that refused to pledge alliance with the Sky Kingdom?"

Zhanying swallowed and nodded. "Did Father know Mother was a disciple at the Jade Dragon Mountain?"

"Chen was a disciple of the Phantom Sect? Why did she never tell me. Oh, my Chen." He put his gravely face in his palm and shook his head.

"Father really didn't know?"

"I don't. I never knew."

"How did Father meet Mother?"

He looked up with eyes subdued by pain. "Why are you bringing your mother up? After she had passed away, I had given up on myself. I want to forget her, so I can return to my glorified self once more. Why do you have to bring her up?" His words were like sobs, and he shook his head. "You will only remind me that, even as a Heavenly Emperor back then, I couldn't bring Chen justice when she was poisoned to death. She had died with her eyes open!"

Zhanying tilted his head back and ignored Yunyin's wails as he proceeded, "During my trip to the Jade Dragon Mountain, I was enlightened with several truths. Tell me, Father, and refrain from altering the story as you have done in the past. How did you meet my mother?" His eyes were so cold that the room seemed to become an ice cavern, and his words were impervious like a sharp blade held against Yunyin's throat.

Yunyin gulped as sorrow took over his eyes. "Your mother was terribly injured when I first met her. I was the Heavenly Emperor back then, and I was campaigning to check the border between Hell and Heaven with a troop of men. I fell in love with her at first sight and saved her from her pursuer. I aided her back to health, and after spending so much time with her, I knew that I could give her the world." His words scraped against his throat, and he shifted in his seat, creaking his bones. "You see, Zhanying, even when I knew she didn't fully love me, I didn't mind as long as she would stay by my side. I asked her to enter the Heavenly Palace to become my consort. She bargained with me, but at long last, she accepted my offer. And even though I knew she only accepted it because of the shelter I could give her and the bargain that she had made, I was content."

Zhanying clenched his fists as he stood stiffly. "And what was the bargain?"

Yunyin lifted his wizened face with startled eyes. "I-I can't tell you!"

Zhanying took a step forward. "You will."

"I am your father, you cannot tell me what I will and will not do."

A laugh scraped out of Zhanying's throat, and his eyes pierced with threats. "Are you my father?"

Yunyin's eyes widened, and he coughed rapidly, his shaky finger raised up. "Y-You knew?"

Zhanying took a sharp breath and closed his eyes. "So, it is true."

The long years of pain covered Yunyin's dark eyes and trailed across his lines of wrinkles. "I shouldn't have kept it from you all these years." He tittered and wiped the sweat off his forehead. "When I saved your mother, I knew she was pregnant, and I knew she had someone else she loved. But even then, I was willing to take her as my consort. She told me that she was pregnant with a son, and only if her son was to be named a Prince would she marry me. . ."

Zhanying stood in daze, listening to his father's rigid truth. It was different from hearing it from the Phantom Lord. Within the Jade Dragon Mountain, he had refused to believe the truth that he was not a biological son of Heaven. But now that his father had confirmed it, his head throbbed with pain.

Ever since he had regained his eyesight, it was as if he had opened his eyes to a new world.

The flame in Yunyin's eyes was close to distinguishing as he slumped his heavy bones down on the table. "But, Zhanying, even though you are not my biological son, haven't I treated you like one all these years? I have given you everything I could and doted on you. You have always been smart and skillful, even more than Yihuai, and I would have even given the throne to you if it had been possible."

Rubbing his temples, Zhanying kept his expression sedated. "In my life, I cannot repay you for the kindness you have given me. And even though I do not wish anything to befall you, you have committed sins that I cannot forgive you for."

Yunyin was momentarily confused, but then his mouth hung open. "Are you talking about the long forgotten scandal?"

"You revolted against Crown Prince Yunyi for the throne, didn't you?" Zhanying chuckled after he saw Yunyin struggling to form words. "You do not need to answer me. I have had enough for now, and my head aches. Rest well, former Heavenly Emperor. Rest well."

Zhanying didn't give Yunyin time to say anything as he turned away and walked out of the dark hall. His footsteps echoed as he stepped out into the light, leaving Yunyin within the shadow of the past.

Outside the study was just as forlorn as inside. Rain poured down from the sky, flooding the marble tiles. Was the Rain Immortal crazy to cast such heavy rain in the Heavenly Palace? As he summoned an umbrella, his clouded head was suddenly cleared, and he remembered that he had instructed Jingrui to wait for him outside.

Zhanying groaned as he scanned the courtyard. To no avail, Jingrui was nowhere to be found. He tilted his head back, suddenly feeling dizzy. "For god's sake."