Chapter 24 | The Goddess and the Maid

The majestic Heavenly Throne Hall where the banquet was held stood valiant, towering over Jingrui. A golden carpet made of the finest silk tapestry blanketed the floor beneath her feet as she walked up the never-ending stairs.

Jingrui followed closely behind Prince Zhanying into the banquet hall. Yuansong was beside her, watching her every move with his eyes narrowed.

Prince Zhanying took a high seat on his reserved table just below Emperor Yihuai. Jingrui shuffled with discomfort as she stood behind him, fearing the Emperor would notice her.

Emperor Yihuai, clad in his usual gold, lay back on his high throne, staring like a hawk at the guests that entered. Beside Yihuai, sat an elegant Queen adorned in several colourful silks, making her resemble a peacock. A certain menace prevailed in her dark eyes, and Jingrui suddenly felt uneasy.

Yuansong pulled her arm and dragged her to his side with a finger raised. "Little immortal, you better stay by my side and not create any trouble for His Highness."

Jingrui shuffled close to Yuansong, ignoring his chiding. "Who's the woman sitting beside Emperor Yihuai?"

Yuansong sneered. "Her?" His expression morphed into disdain. "That's the Empress Dowager Lingyue, the Emperor's mommy. Whatever you do, stay as far away from her as possible."

She gulped and nodded. Like mother, like son, it seemed.

She glanced around the marvellous hall as several deities entered one after the other. They were all handsome and beautiful, dressed with the utmost elegance. Each deity sat down at high and low steps in accordance to their statuses. Although they were all striking, Jingrui could not find anyone who outshone the God of War.

She had never noticed how regal the Prince could look as he always dressed in informal garments, and let his hair run loose. During the formal banquet, he dressed in a neat black hanfu which was stitched with the most refined golden silk. His hair was tied up, and a crown was placed upon his head. They could say Jingrui was biased, but her prince truly looked the best.

She didn't have time to ponder over her wild thoughts as a radiant Goddess walked her way. Following the Goddess, several other beautiful maidens ran to follow. Peony scent wafted from them as they sat down surrounding Prince Zhanying like predators ready to take down their prey.

Although all pretty in their own rights, none of the maidens were as pretty as the radiant Goddess. Jingrui blinked several times as she watched the Goddess's porcelain skin sparkle. She nudged Yuansong whose lips were blanched at the sight of the maidens.

"How can someone be so beautiful? Who is she?" Jingrui asked.

Yuansong's breathing fell out of pace. "The Goddess of Beauty, Yuetong."

"She's really beautiful. I've never seen someone so fitting of the poem, what was it again: pure as ice and chaste as jade, essence and heart of orchid, sink fish and alight birds, outshine the moon and-" Jingrui came to an abrupt stop when Yuetong's cutting eyes snapped her way.

Yuetong lay her elegant form down beside Prince Zhanying, her gaze fixed on Jingrui. Her red lips pursed as she sneered. "Why has Your Highness brought such a pretty maid with you? You normally only bring Yuansong . . . or could it be that you. . ."

Prince Zhanying brought the teacup to his lips and blew on the steam. "I shall bring whom I wish. Goddess of Beauty does not need to be concerned."

Yuetong's lips curved into a smile as she eyed the prince seductively. Her long eyelashes batted as she tried to earn his glance her way. "You don't need to bring a maid here. None of them hold pure intentions. Especially, ones that look as fine as she. . ." Yuetong gave Jingrui a threatening side glance. "Besides, I can serve Your Highness."

Prince Zhanying twirled his teacup in one hand and laid his head on other. "I have long been blind. I cannot tell if the maid behind me is ugly or beautiful." He placed the teacup down onto the table and angled his face to the Goddess of Beauty. An attractive yet threatening smile spread over his face. "The Goddess of Beauty is revered throughout the four seas and eight deserts as the most beautiful maiden. But, you see, I am blind. To me, you are no different from the maid behind me."

At his words, crocodile tears sprung from Yuetong's eyes, and she stood up in anger. With a loud huff, she turned from Prince Zhanying and stormed off into the distance. The trail of beautiful ladies followed after her.

Jingrui blinked, confused at the scene that played out before her. She turned to Yuansong who sighed in relief when the Goddess of Beauty had disappeared from sight. "Has the Prince always been this popular?" she asked him with curiousity.

Yuansong nodded, wiping sweat off his forehead. "Of course. And he may not mind his popularity as he could easily shrug them off with words as you can see. However, it's quite different for me. They would pester me for days to let them into Floating Abyss, and I must fend them off while upholding respect. A little immortal such as yourself could never understand the pain."

Jingrui indeed couldn't understand the pain. In fact, she didn't understand why someone would want to shake off such pretty goddesses. She nodded slowly. "But . . . he's blind."

Yuansong chuckled at her words. "So what if he is blind. Even if he is deaf and mute they'd still fawn over him because who doesn't desire the power and position, and the fair looks that he holds?"

Fair? Jingrui cocked her head to the side as she glanced at the figure of the Prince in front of her.

But before she could observe him any further, a man stuck his face into her sight, blocking her view from the Prince. He narrowed his eyes as he analysed her features up and down. Jingrui went rigid as she tried to back away from him until her back hit against a pillar.

The man rubbed his chin and stepped away. "Fair-looking, little fairy," he said and patted her shoulder. A smile widened on his lips as he turned around and scurried onto the floor beside Prince Zhanying. He nudged the Prince with his elbow. "Who's she, Zhanying? I've never seen you with a maid before? Do you two. . ." He tapped his two index fingers together and fluttered his eyelashes.

"Please reserve yourself, Third Uncle Yunru," Prince Zhanying said without sparing him a glance.

Third Uncle's eyes drooped at Prince Zhanying cold shoulder towards him. "Alright, alright, my grumpy, beloved nephew." He crossed his arms before lowering his voice. "So, you've informed me the other day that you've found a cure for your sight. What about it?"

Jingrui's ears pricked up, suddenly interested in their conversation. She took a small step forward so she could hear better.

"Something about a miracle fruit. I doubt that such a thing exists," Prince Zhanying replied.

Third Uncle mulled hard over the Prince's words and gave a slow nod. "Well . . . it doesn't hurt to give it a try, does it?"

"I suppose not. . ." Prince Zhanying fiddled with the teacup as he lapsed into thought. "But this world was created with a predestined fate. The cycle of nature must remain harmonious like the principle of yin and yang. It would be a wonder if this vast land truly holds such a destiny-defying object."

"Since when do you believe in destiny?" The Third Uncle gave a nervous laugh.

"Indeed, I do not. And I may not need its charity, but since when has anything come without a price?" Prince Zhanying let out a sigh and turned to his Third Uncle. "Forget it. No matter the price, I will gamble upon it."

"That's the spirit I like." The Third Uncle grinned. "So where is this fruit? So I can retrieve it for you."

Zhanying shook his head. "I'm afraid you cannot. I must travel there myself. The fruit must be eaten fresh." His voice sparked with determination. "The boundary between Heaven and Hell, the Jade Dragon Mountain, that is where I shall campaign to."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

If you enjoyed, please smash that golden star and make my day.