Chapter 89 | Ruling the World

The never-ending winter had melted, and the moon that was cursed to be wane had become full. The shadow of the abyss that overcast with gloom, and the withered peach blossoms under a torrent of snow had sprung back to life.

They had awoken from a haunting nightmare.

If love could melt loneliness, then, for the first time, Zhanying thought he was not alone. If a flame could melt the coldest heart, then Jingrui was his flame, even if it was one destined to burn out.

A soft scent of peach blossoms wafted into his nose as he pried his eyes open. She was staring down at him in the blinding light. Her long hair fell to the side of his ears, smiling in full bloom. The subtle spark in her round eyes overlooked him with an unchangeable purity. The soul that ran deep in her was like a bird in an infinite sky.

She was beautiful.

And, she was the one he loved most.

He reached for her, gently feeling her soft skin under his palm. He pulled her down until their lips met. Something, which seemed to be a cup of hot medicine, fell from her hand as he kissed her. And whether they were in Heaven or Hell at that moment, didn't matter to him.

Her hand was placed on his beating chest as she pulled herself away from him. Her breathing ragged, "You made me spill all the medicine."

Doesn't matter. He wanted to tell her, but he couldn't find his voice. His body ached with pain as he pushed himself to sit up. Coughing hard, he mustered up a soft muffle, "Where am I?"

Jingrui tilted her head to the side. "You don't recognise?"

He scanned around the room. It was familiar to him, but his head jabbed with pain, and he clutched onto it. "Did I follow you to the afterlife?"

Jingrui sighed. "You're at the Floating Abyss Palace."

He placed his fingertips on his forehead as he tried to pierce through the clouds in his mind. He remembered the battle that stained the thronehall red. He also remembered her decaying face within his arms, and the grief and rage that swallowed him whole.

He looked up at her, his heart racing, and his breathing quickening. He raised his hand to her face, feeling her and making sure she was really alive before his. Her skin tingled with warmth and life against his palm. With a sharp breath, he pulled her close to him, holding onto her tightly, and never to let go.

"We are at home," he muttered. "We are at our home."

Her body sunk deep within his arms like ice melting against heat. She sniffled. "Did you know that these whole time, I've thought to myself that if you don't wake up soon, I might not be able to stand this dark world anymore? Thankfully, you are awake."

Zhanying furrowed his brows as he fought against his headache. "What is dark about this world, Bao Bao? Hasn't everything already come to pass? The nightmare is no more, and this cruel world, I have already conquered it for you."

Jingrui's body stiffened at his words, and her fists clenched against his hanfu. "You're right. As long as I am with you, even an abyss can be beautiful."

A soft smile came over him as he stroke his thumb across the crease of her brows. "How long have I been out?"

"A week since the battle. It's all because you are stubborn and mean, and didn't take my antidote. You even turned to your true form while your flow of Qi was a mess . . . If the Third Uncle didn't force the antidote down your throat in time, you'd have dissipated. It took the immortal physicians long to fix your meridians."

Zhanying took a deep breath. His head thudded with pain as he tried to recall exactly what had happened before he passed out. "Where is the Third Uncle?"

Jingrui's eyes instantly widened. She lowered her voice into a whisper, "H-He's in peace now." She placed her forehead on his chest as if she were trying hard to suppress in her tears. "He thought he was to be blamed for killing my sister, my master, and Consort Chen. He wanted to make up for it by transferring all of his cultivation to retain my life."

Zhanying closed his eyes and nodded. "He has finally attained the freedom he longed for."

Jingrui gave a solemn sigh as she pulled herself away from him and stood up. Stumbling, she roamed her hands around the bedside table, before grabbing a plate of steamed buns. "Are you hungry? You've been out for a long time."

His brows arched up, watching her tentatively. He didn't realise it when he first woke up, but now that his mind was becoming more clear, there was something off with Jingrui. "Look at me," he demanded, but she only angled her face his way. Her eyes were red as if she were trying hard bottled in her sorrow. "Bao Bao?" he called.

When she didn't answer, he grabbed her wrist and took the plate from her. "Who hurt you?"

There were tears in her eyes like soft layers of glass. When she blinked them, and tears dropped down, his heart pierced with pain. He placed the plate back onto the bedside table and pulled her towards him. "Who did it to you?"

A sob choked out of her throat. "I can't see anymore. I can't see Your Highness anymore," she mumbled. "Lingyue blinded me. I will never be able to see Your Highness again. I will never be able to see the world again. I will never—"

He pulled her into his arms and embraced her. "It's fine if I, or the world, dissipate in your eyes, as long as they are still engraved deep within your heart and never forgotten. From now on, I'll be your eyes, Bao Bao, don't cry anymore. I don't want you to cry anymore."

She nodded. "Zhanying. . ." she murmured, and his heart skipped a beat at how it rolled off her tongue. "I love you."

His eyes softened. He grabbed her small palm and placed it on his chest. "And, I—you," he muttered as he looked straight into her eyes. "I want you to always be the happy Bao Bao when we first meet. The one that never knew I was the God of War or Prince Zhanying. The one who's clumsy, carefree and rid of all the hate within this world. I want you to be a flame that burns forever."

She pressed her cheek against his chest. "I will be your Bao Bao forever."

He smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I want you to be my Empress."

Her breathing turned sharp and her face flushed warm no matter how many times he had said it.

She nodded, her voice was barely a whisper, "Then, can we have a simple wedding? Under a field of peach blossoms?"

"If it's your wish."

"Can we invite Senior and Madam Fu too? Perhaps—Perhaps, we could hold it at the mountain?"

"Of course."

She smiled as she sat upright and wiped away her tears. A certain thrill like a young immortal at the peak of her youth took over her. She clasped her hands together, and her smile returned. "So, when can we get married?"

He blinked, taken aback by her overwhelming excitement before letting out a soft chuckle. "Are you that eager to be my Empress?" He asked as he lay back onto the mattress and stared up at her with a smile. "There's no rush. In my heart, you are already my Empress."

Jingrui crossed her arms. "I've always been envious when Senior and Sister got married. Now that you are mine, why should I wait?"

At her words, a laugh escaped his lips. "You are quite bold, Bao Bao" He reached for her, stroking the back of his finger over her nose bridge. "And, I like it when you are bold. I'd like us to get married soon, but do you even know what you are to become?"

She arched her brows up. "Your Empress?"

Amusements took over his eyes. "To be precise, you are going to be a Heavenly Empress. The queen of the four seas and eight deserts."

Her eyes widened, and her fingers became shaky as she pointed it at herself. "B-Bao Bao as Heavenly Empress?"

Zhanying nodded and smiled. "I think Bao Bao will do great ruling the world."