Excerpt from a book (4)

(...)... My darling (y/n) does not call me by a pet name nor do I want her to. It isn't that I dislike pet names, it's just that it's... unnatural for her to call me one. It's unexplainable by words, but you can certainly feel it if she calls me by one.

I found this out after requesting her to call me "honey". It did not sound like an endearment at all! It ended up sounding like a... name. As in, my first name.

Was it her tone? Was it her voice? Was it the way she looks at me when she called me that? Maybe it's because it's unlike her to do something like that.

I have been writing for decades, yet, I can't seem to find the words to describe how uncomfortable it feels to have her call me anything other than 'Vasilios' or 'Evanet'.

Most likely, by calling me a pet name, she's not being 'herself'. This is the closest reason to my confusion that I can provide.

To prove my hypothesis correct, I decided to ask her to give me an original pet name, an endearment from the bottom of her heart.

I was disappointed that the best she could come up with was "Vase -man". But... it did feel like an affectionate gesture, it was so much better than plain, simple 'honey'. Thus, I was proven right.

I told her to give me another one, another creation of her own. She gave me a nickname that sounds an awful lot like a certain derogatory term. Namely, "Vass-hole"

I gave her the cold shoulder until she apologized. I still love her very much nonetheless.

(Excerpt taken from the book: "My Mischievious Little Darling", written by M. Evanet Vasilios.)