09

AURORA

AURORA

We had won.

No surprises there. The stadium roared in success as the time ran down, as Asher and his team mates clapped and cheered in victory. With his face plastered on the big screen, I could see his bright smile through his helmet as his team mates hugged him. A look to the crowd caused another huge roar, as he raised a fist to them.

It was interesting to watch Asher during something like this. He was calm and poised, while still enjoying himself despite thousands of eyes on him. He didn't shy away from fear, he reveled in it. The screaming fans around didn't seem to faze him in the slightest. Eventually the team returned down the tunnel back towards their locker room.

Cassidy, Sophia and I all began to walk back towards the exit. I walked in the middle, with my two best friends liked on each arm with a bright smile on my face. It felt good to be happy.

"So what did you think?" Cassidy asked chirpily.

"It was amazing." I replied, still slightly awestruck of the surroundings. The way the crowd roared, the people's loyalty to their cause, the support and faith they had in their team. It was an incredible sight.

"They get pretty crazy like that. You'll get used to it." Sophia mused.

"Who says I'll be at more?" I asked a small smirk on my face as I turned to her.

"If Asher has anything to do with it, I think you will."

I groaned inwardly. I had been so focused on the game that I had nearly forgotten Asher and I had a date after. Or a second date after. Do people call it a 'second' date, or is that just an expression?

To Asher, it probably wasn't a big deal at all, I'm sure he's been on lots of dates. But for me, this was a big step. And the fact any nerves of it had slipped my mind brought a small smile to my face. This was something I never thought possible two years ago. Then I could barely socially speak to anyone besides Dr Crawford, and now here I am, going on a date with the most eligible bachelor on campus. Go you Aurora.

I wondered of how much Asher knew of my past. By the way he spoke and how he handled me, I guessed he had a fair idea of what had happened to me and to my family. I don't tend to speak of it to people, other than when I spent my time with Dr Crawford. Besides her, the only people who know the details of my... situation, were Cassidy and Sophia. Shortly after my discovery, the pair came to visit. My grandparents had all since passed and we weren't close with any aunts or uncles since we moved... it was always just the five of us.

But Sophia and Cassidy saw me at my worst. I can't imagine what it must of been like for them. I try to blank out the period of time but it's not something that's easily forgotten. They saw the shell of a girl they once knew that day, and it I don't doubt they've forgotten that, but they are kind to never speak of it. That's not how I want to live my life. The past is only a reminder of how far you've come, not something you dwell on.