16

AURORA

AURORA

I couldn't feel my heart in my chest anymore. It had been beating so fast, constantly, for the last hour it has simply become insignificant to me.

It took a while to calm my breathing. Once I was back in the dorm Cassidy and Sophia did everything they could to calm me down, but their attempts were futile. There's was nothing that could stop the panic attack that hit me.

Anxiety does that to you. It just appears. And for whatever reason, if it has a hold of you it will not let go. It latches onto the most vulnerable part of you, and rips you apart. Then comes the panic. Your breathing gets faster, and faster as you simply can't think straight. Your chest tightens as it squeezes you tighter, unable to coherently speak never mind think clearly.

And lastly for my panic attacks, I transport back to a place I long to forget. I place which lives in the deepest part of my mind. A place I am free of, but will forever haunt my nightmares.

"Please! I'll be good I promise! Please let me out!"

I had lost track of the days a long time ago. I had tried counting them but when you miss entire days from sleeping and anxiety is busy warping you're mind, Monday very easily merged into Friday.

It was pitch dark. A haunting dark. The kind as a child you feared a monster lurked in.

I suppose in this dark, a monster did lurk in it.

My own personal brand of torture was the place I went when I disobeyed him. An underground box built specially for me. No windows or light, and a steep ladder my only escape. The pounding of my fists and my agonising pleads fell on deaf ears. My throat scratched from my pleading screams.
Naturally you eyes adjust to darkness, but this confined little box, not even big enough for me to sit up straight was only what I could imagine a nightmare coming to life to be like.
After an hour my fingers would ache from pounding on the hatch door and the walls around me. I could only cradle my hand and wait. And cry.

All I had asked for was a clock. My room had a tiny window, too high to see out of, but it gave a slight of day and night. However I never realised quite how much time mattered in life. You can go a few days doing nothing and letting time pass you by but when your an animal stuck in a cage with nothing to entertain you, it all blurs.

He gave me a book for my birthday. Signed it to a new name for me. He told me that this was my life now. That all my family were dead and no one was looking for me. That there was nothing left for me. That he was doing my a favour. He never would tell me his name. Told me it didn't matter. That I was to call him Sir, as I had to follow his orders.