11

AURORA

AURORA

The high pitched screeches of my best friends were no surprise to me as I divulged into my evening with Asher. I could only giggle as the pair ranted off to each other as though I wasn't even there.

"She grabbed his hand Sophia. Their fingers intertwined."

"I know! And she told him how good he was doing! And, he laughed at her jokes. Like Asher freaking Monroe."

"Urgh, I want a boyfriend."

"Um," I interrupted the two, sitting up from my bed, "he's not my boyfriend."

"But you want him to be." Sophia chimed, raising an eyebrow in my direction.

"I never said that." I denied. Okay maybe. But who wouldn't? I mean look at him.

"You never said you didn't want him to be either? Did you hear that Cass?"

"Nope never heard that Soph." Cass replied, a faux innocence dripping from her tone.

I sighed. "Even if that were true, we're a long way off from that." That however most certainly was true. Although Asher was yet to show any signs of false intentions, I was scarred, and the biggest was my lack of trust in people. There will forever be a gaping hole in my heart for trusting the wrong person and it lead to the disaster which ruined my life. Therapy helped, but once trust is a delicate force which can't ever fully be repaired. The guilt swirling within me although has lessened in time, may never quite disappear.

"He's the closest who's come though, isn't it Rory?" Cass stared at me with a knowing smile, although her tone was gentle. Like always.

She was right. Not only had I surprised my friends, and mostly likely Asher, I had surprised myself. I only had him to thank. Asher made me feel so comfortable when I spent time with him. He made feel appreciated and wanted to spend with me. My heart blipped every time I looked into those dark eyes, getting a reaction I didn't know would even be possible. Asher helped me to feel alive.

"Maybe." I smiled, as they screeched again, shaking my shoulders as if I'd just scored the winning touchdown of the game.

"Alright well, we'll leave you before lover boy comes." Sophia winked, standing up from my bed.

"Dress nice!" Cassidy warned, pointing her finger in my direction, before they were out the door.

Sighing, I checked my phone to see a message from Asher.