00.008

tw // brief mention of self harm

"Newt honey can you come here for a second?" His mom asked as he was coming upstairs for dinner.

"Yeah sure what's up?" Newt jumped on the island, swinging his feet, gently banging his heels on the cabinets.

"You got a letter in the mail, I put it on your desk."

Newt made a face at that. "Oh?"

"I have no idea who it's from, do you?"

Newt shook his head. "No, I'm not expecting anything. I'll go look and be down in ten."

His mom nodded in approval. "I'm making tacos!"

"Sweet!" Newt called as he hopped down and hurried up the stairs. He never got mail so in a weird way he was excited.

When he got into his room he closed the door behind him with his heel and flopped onto his bed. He reached over and grabbed the envelope off his dresser.

Newt made a face when he saw there was no return address.

"Who in the bloody hell sent me a letter?" Newt mumbled to no one and started tearing at the envelope.

He ripped it open and pulled the paper out. It was a blank sheet, there was almost nothing on it except two printed black words. It was clear that they were typed and the paper was perfectly wrinkle free.

Stop Looking

That's all it said.

Newt felt his blood run cold. It freaked him out, but he took a deep breath and flipped the paper over. It was blank on that side too. The entire thing looked spotless which somehow made it even more creepy.

Newt ran his hands over his face and placed the letter on his bed in front of him. What the hell were they getting themselves into?

Newt grabbed Lizzy's diary from under his bed where he now stored it. He flipped to the one page he kept from the rest of the garage.

'They're dangerous. I don't know who they are yet, but they're dangerous and they know who I am. I think they want me, they want kids who know what they're doing. I can't stop because I know they'll find me if I do. I have to finish their trials and get the end, if I get the end it stops and Newt can be safe again. The only thing I have to make very clear is that it's not just a game. It's in the real world too and it doesn't end when the computer turns off.'

Newt let his fingers trace over the page. For some reason that part had been bugging him for days. It was always in the back of his mind. He looked back to the letter and shoved it in between the pages of the diary. It wasn't just in the game which was what Newt was starting to realize and what Eden had been trying to tell him.

They could touch his character, kill him, hurt him which would suck but that isn't scary. It's scary when they send a letter to your house with a hidden threat.

Newt looked at the next page in his sister's book, this page has just a few words written in the middle of the page, but it always gave Newt chills.

'Be careful. They will hurt you.'

"Newt honey! Dinner!"

Newt shook his head and shoved the stuff back under his bed. This whole thing was fucking insane.

Well, he could think about it after tacos.
_______

"So I have a serious question," Minho said into his mic as they stood by the door they'd opened last night.