00.010

if you want to listen to newt's playlist look up "school wall" on spotify created by me

Newt was at his lunch spot again, his headphones were in when someone sat down next to him.

Newt's eyes widened as he realized it was Chuck.

"Hey," Newt said softly, not wanting to be a dick this time.

Chuck's eyes were red and he was breathing heavily. "I gotta know Newt."

"Know what Chuck?" Newt asked, his heart rate picking up.

"Did you know?"

"Did I know what?"

"That he was gonna do it?"

Newt furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"Did you know Aris was gonna kill himself?"

"Chuck..." Newt started, but trailed off. Aris didn't kill himself, Newt was sure of that, but he wasn't sure how much exactly to tell Chuck. He didn't want someone to find Chuck's lifeless body days from now because that would be more blood on his hands. More dead kids and more unanswered questions.

"You did, didn't you? You fucking KNEW Newt you KNEW and y-you didn't say anything!"

"What?! Chuck no I swear!"

Chuck wiped his eyes and let out a breath. "I'm sorry...I'm just trying to make sense of it all."

"Did you ever think...like you know?" Newt asked carefully as he handed Chuck the roll of oreos that he had in his lunch.

"Did I think he'd ever do that? No! And the thing is I keep going over stuff in my head and he never showed any signs...he wasn't really ever sad and he was pretty upbeat most of the time."

Newt nodded. "I guess sometimes there aren't any signs."

"Or I'm just a shit friend for not picking up on them."

"You really think he killed himself?" Newt asked gently.

"I mean yeah, the h-hole was right in his head and the gun was kinda still in his hand."

Newt bit his lip, he had a million questions he wanted to ask but he knew he couldn't. "Did you see it Chuck?"

Chuck nodded. "Yeah, I saw him, I walked into his room and he was there on the chair-" Chuck choked out a little sob. "It looked like it was out of a movie, there was no blood on the walls and he looked fine except for the hole in his head. I barely even noticed it at first."

Newt bit his lip. Something wasn't adding up. If Aris actually shot himself at that range, his skull would have been blown off and blood would have been everywhere. Headshot wounds that close up are messy, they aren't neat little bullets. That meant Aris wasn't killed in his house.

"There's nothing you could have done," Newt said gently. "You were a good friend to him, I bet he cared about you a lot."

Chuck dropped his head into his hands. "I-I can't believe it. Like I keep imagining that he's gonna call me or text me and we can play the game together."

"I know," Newt said because he did. He really did. "I'm sorry."

Chuck shook his head. "No, actually I came over here to apologize. I didn't know how badly this hurt and I kept bugging you about your sister. I was insensitive."

"It's okay, it's just a sore subject, makes me think of her more than I'd like to. Everytime I do I get sad."

Chuck let out a long breath. "Yeah, it really fucking sucks."