00.015

Thomas had his hand on Newt's back as his voice shook into his phone's receiver.

"You're sure you're okay mum?" Newt asked as he took a breath.

"Yes sweetie, I'm fine. The fire department said that the circuit sparked and started the fire."

"I-I'm sorry, I should ha-"

"Issac. It wasn't your fault. Your computer is old, we should have gotten you a new one ages ago."

"How's the basement?"

His mom was quiet for a moment. "Uh...it's looked better."

Newt felt heat prick at his eyes. "Okay."

"We can fix it honey okay I promise."

"It's okay mum, don't worry about it I'm just glad you're okay."

"You're coming home later today right?"

"Yeah and Tommy is gonna spend the night, it's a long trip back for him."

"That's fine. I'll see you later okay? I'm going to work out some things with insurance...good thing we replaced the batteries in the smoke detector last week right?"

Newt smiled softly. "Right. Love you mum."

"Love you too sweetie. Bye."

The line clicked as it hung up.

Newt let out a breath and dropped his head into his hands. "Thank god she's okay."

Teresa bit her lip. "Do you think it was-"

"Yes," Newt replied instantly. "I know it was them."

"Whoever the hell they are," Minho scoffed.

"Are you okay?" Thomas asked softly as he shifted his hand on Newt's back. Newt just realized it was there and his chest tightened a bit.

Newt nodded. "Yeah I'm fin-" Newt's eyes widened. "Oh fuck!"

"What?" Teresa asked.

"Lizzy's book, I fuckin left it downstairs because I was looking stuff up and it's probably fucking gone!"

"There's no way they could have known-"

"They probably shorted out your computer!" Thomas exclaimed. "I think some virus can do that?"

"So you don't think they went to my house?" Newt asked and when Thomas shook his head he felt a wave of relief wash through him.

"Why was the kid at your house?" Minho asked. "The one who called you, Chuck or whatever."

Newt shrugged. "He probably just wanted to talk or something, he's not doing too well after Aris was killed. He still thinks it was a suicide, I think he kinda blames himself or something."

"This is kinda fucked," Minho breathed out. "I finally get to see you guys in person and it somehow gets more shitty."

"I don't know how I'm gonna play," Newt sighed. "Everything was on my computer. I don't have anything else."

"We'll figure it out," Thomas said as he finally dropped his hand off Newt's back. "We can check stuff out when we get to your house."

"Yeah okay," Newt breathed out.

"When are you guys leaving?" Minho asked sadly.

Newt shrugged. "Probably in an hour or so, we gotta get back and eat and sleep before Tommy's train tomorrow."

"We're doing this more often okay?" Minho pointed his finger at him. "Like at least once a month."

"I stand by that," Teresa piped in.