3

I noticed that when tournaments were around the corner, the boys would stay longer than usual which—as much as I admire the hardwork—caused me to stay back waiting on Kiyoko. This time, I decided to just wait inside the gym instead of battling the cold air outside.

Coach Ukai didn't mind my presence and I was glad they had such a laidback yet skilled coach as him. They were doing the normal drills we girls did, except twice the speed and energy. I don't even want to ask how many laps of floor dives they had done.

"(y/n), can you help me practice some serves?" Asahi-san asked as he came towards me.

"O-Of course! I need to practice too!" I was pleasantly surprised by the offer and gladly followed Asahi-san towards the court.

I positioned myself at the back row, a comfortable spot for me. From the other side of the net, Asahi was in serving stance. Of course an ace like him wants to practice a good service ace to catch opponents off guard from the very start. But I'm not going to be an easy opponent. Sure, I haven't played against many boys but I was confident in receiving any incoming balls.

A couple of serves later, I could see Asahi-san getting better and my arms were getting worn out by the number of receives I had been doing trying to counter him.

Suddenly, Asahi gave a serve so close to the net, and in my tired state, I was sluggish running towards the front. Before I could reach it, I felt a gust of wind, and like magic, the ball flew back up.

"Ah! Nice receive-" I look up to see him again. Spiky black head with blond locks. Face like he was born to play.

"Ni..shino..ya-kun" I said, feeling like I've met someone in a different level than me.

"You're (y/n)-chan right?"

"CHAN?!"