11

Since this was my second year in Karasuno High School, I was way more prepared to have a good School Cultural Festival than last year.

So was my class. We debated over so many ideas of things we could do together but ended up opening our own small store to sell local foods and sweet pastries. I'm glad that was our final decision because I wouldn't know how to feel about maid cafes or haunted houses.

We had group shifts to tend to our stall and I made sure that my shift gave me time to see the performances at the great hall. Other than being a fan of the art of acting and performance, I admit that I was excited to see Nishinoya's class do a dance performance. I wonder how silly he'd look.

Arriving at the crowded hall, I hear the loud cheers of the audience clearly. Is the performance starting?

I ran up to the front, my small figure made it easier to squeeze through gaps. Then I saw him dancing on stage and I find myself smiling widely.

He was dancing so awkwardly and fidgeting every few seconds, although... his timing for every beat was accurate.

"You were totally born with two left feet," I laugh as I greeted him with a wave.

He was sweating from the performance but he still smiled to greet me back warmly.

"Are you saying I can't dance?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

Before I notice we were walking into the outside stalls together side by side. I wanted to ask if he was waiting for anyone to go with but somehow we ended up here and-

"What's your favorite festival food?"

"Uhm, candy apples?"

"Alright! Let's go!" he takes my wrists so casually and pulls me through the crowd of people until we arrive at the infamous candy apple stall.

"Two please,"

"Huh? Wait—," he passes me one without a word.

"Let me pay you back," I pat my back pocket in search of money I was saving up to buy food at the festival.

"No need. It's to pay back, for this," he pointed at his healed knee scar.

"Thank you,"

I must have gotten crazy because I knew I blushed at that. He didn't need to thank me, but he did.

"That was nothing... but I'll never turn down free food!" I take a bite from the candy apple, it really is my favorite festival food.

He laughs at me as we make our way to a less crowded area.

The area wasn't open to the public and they weren't any stalls opened. It felt like it was meant for the two of us to occupy the space.

Under the shady tree, I sat down on the grass below munching on the candy apple still.

"It must be tough," I say.

"?" Nishinoya turned towards me.

"To be a libero. I.. don't want to think that way but. The need to stay reliable and trusted the whole time. Protecting everyone's' back. That's what they want me to do, sometimes I doubt that these hands can fulfill that," I bring my free hand up to the sky, the light that barely passes through the leaves fall on my face.

I inspect my hand from its palms to my fingertips. A volleyball player's hands are so precious.

"Mhm. It is hard," he finally replies and walks over to me.

He places his hand against mine and I see his hands are bigger than mine. Strong but yet soft.

"But we have our team together with us, (y/n). We support each other because we have each other,"

I found it hard to speak with him up so close, our skins in contact. Why am I so oversensitive with everything when I'm around him?

I stare deep into his eyes hoping to find answers to my whys.

"Nishinoya-san, I think I like you,"

-----------

wow this has gotten an increase of reads ! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I promise to keep updating <3