STRADDLING & WATERMELON

17

STRADDLING & WATERMELON

It took me a while before I was able to get up under that desk...

but when I did I only knew it was because I wouldn't see Leo again. I mean.. our fight in the bathroom yesterday wasn't us breaking up but.. I was fully truthful to him..

and he barely said a word.

he's so worried about people finding out but not worried about what he's doing to me...

there's nothing to find out about if he loses me first.. and at this point he will.

I get off at my bus stop, cringing at the eighteen freshmen boys that stared me down and tried to feel my legs... feel my ribs and my stomach...

I walk up Rose's driveway, weirdly before Leo's car is here, and open her door. "Hey! I'm gonna call my mom that I came here." I say as I enter.

Pretending nothing happened is my go to..

Jemma peaks out for the kitchen and smiles, "of course hun!"

I leaning against the wall and type my moms number in. "Hey mom-"

"Why didn't you bring Jace over Rox-"

"Because mom, we got in a little fight. I'll bring him over when he comes to his senses." I say and she huffs, "I get it, but he's a senior! I don't want him to see me as a monster, Rox."

"Then you shouldn't have married one when you knew the consequences." I mumble and she sighs. "I'm over at the McClures for tonight, I'll get somebody to drive me home if you can't." I say, messing with the ring that Leo gave me when I drove home with mom.  I put the phone back and sigh.

I see Haze on the couch and smile, walking over to him and sitting on his lap, my head dug into his shoulder. I want actively crying, but just feeling safe like that with him made me shed a few tears.

"If he doesn't have the balls to ask her out he doesn't deserve her." He says out of nowhere, messing with his hands and I smile at him. "Haze?"

I knew what he was talking about.

"Yes."

"Do you have the balls to ask her out?" I add and he swallows. "When I know she will say yes, I'll have the biggest fucking balls." He says and I laugh.

"can I tell you a secret Haze...?" I ask and he nods, "of course Rox.."

"I'm dating Leo.. and he won't tell any kid and everything inside me is building up and I yelled at him and I'm afraid I went to far... I'm afraid he doesn't want me anymore.."

"Rox.. he'll always want you, I know that for sure. No matter what planet or island or place you are.. no matter what you say or how you say it.. he'll never get over you. and if it takes a little fight to knock the sense into his head then so be it. you deserve the best.."

"Thank you... you know why I'm scared right? You know how girls react to him and how him being single is.."

"I do know. And god... I'd feel like shit.."

"I'm home!" Leo's warm but deep voice says as he walks in, but somebody follows after him. "Hello!" One of those moaning voice screams and Jemma's face furrows, she moves out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on a towel before throwing it in the laundry and moving closer.

I clench onto Haze tighter, closing my eyes and him understanding the memo.

"Oh.. her backpack.. um.. Haze is uh- oh." Leo stutters out, "she's right there-" Leo says, almost in shock but Haze shushes him. "She's asleep." He says sternly.