↳ christmas at the manor #4

Heels were not made for running under normal circumstances, their height made the activity difficult (not even going into how physically discomforting it was), try adding these killers traps to long dresses and you had a perfect recipe for disaster. Though traveling through time and space with a time lord tended to make one used to most unusual circumstances, each companion could provide stories to vouch for this. Sarah Jane threw away more shoes than she could count due to unfortunate situations, Martha would rather not think about her favorite leather jacket being destroyed by angry alien dwarves and that is without mentioning Amy's many nights washing foreign substances out of her hair. Bill Potts of course hadn't met any of those but two adventures had been enough to teach her some things.

"Doctor!" She yelled at the rapidly retreating form of her friend. In a moment of quick thinking, the woman threw away her shoes while keeping a steady sprint. I'm gonna be so fit if things continue like this, the thought was soon followed by a mental note to thank a certain blue spaceship for a great dress. Upon walking into the wardrobe, this flowy piece was illuminated therefore making it the obvious choice in a closet bigger than her whole apartment. "Wait."

As comfy as it was, a black shimmering dress with multiple layers of fabric could create a few accidents if given the chance.

"Come on, Donna." Trench coat flowing behind him, Ten ran after the people who'd just exited their party with haste.

When you want to figure something out and haven't the slightest on where to start, his three brain stems thought, your best bet is to follow whoever looks most suspicious in the room. You'll end up right more often than not.

"Spaceman, slow down."

Donna had tried so hard to look nice for once. Foregoing an usually pin-straight loose hairstyle for a TARDIS designed curly updo, she'd even gone with the ship's choice of outfit. Certainly easier than browsing several large wardrobes spread throughout unending rooms.

"We're going to loose them!" He impatiently answered, slowing down nonetheless.

"I am going to loose my patience if there isn't a vacation in the near future for me." Both stopped quickly enabling her to take off a pretty pair of deep green stilettos, chosen by a sentient spaceship with a weird interest in fashion.

Their chase continued for a few minutes, quickly going from suspiciously empty lavish hallways to service passageways filled with more robots than people and finally a industrial looking hall stretched before them. Ophelia thanked whatever had created Time Lords for their enhanced senses because she'd not be able to live through this day again.

"Could you stop running?" His voice reached her, Scottish accent tainted by deep breaths every few seconds.

"We're almost there." She offered a simple answer before abruptly turning a corner.

"Almost where?" The Doctor flawlessly continued after the running handmaiden, white hair disappearing behind a curve and soon followed by his past self; both unaware of the other's identity. Their companions looked at each other, sharing in a feeling of mutual exasperation at being thrown into another adventure.

Their guide breathed in relief once her feet skidded to a stop by what looked like an ordinary wall.

"You made us run all this way for this?" Donna would give this lady a proper talking to if she'd led them just to stare at a metallic extension of nothing. "A wall. A bloody wall."

F-One didn't understand why the Doctor's face had gone from 'slightly exasperated with how this is going' to 'this simply cannot be happening'. He was seen as this fearless savior, going into danger without a second thought, why would a simple run make him look so... afraid?

"... I am going back up there, drink some champagne and hopefully find a better wall to stare at." The ginger haired woman hadn't stopped talking while those thoughts came and went, she'd probably go on judging by her body language.

"It's not a wall." Well, it is and isn't but they didn't need to know that. All four of them watched as she pulled a seemingly ordinary hair clip out of an intricate braid only to insert the jeweled part into a crevice. This simple action made a piece of metal slide open just enough so they could squeeze into a dark room. Whatever comments they wanted to make were silenced by echoing footsteps nearby. "Get in."

༓☾☽༓

Corin Canassis spent a lifetime being overlooked by his peers in favor of his sister, at least from where he stood. Though today this became an advantage as no one cared wether he made it to the party or not, after all tonight was about Coraline. He'd be fashionably late upstairs once this laboratory got checked.

"Energy levels are nearly there, sir." One of many scientists offered a clipboard with readings to him, desperate to please. They all knew what happened to those who ended up on Corin's wrong side.

"Why did levels rise slower after c51?" The scientific side of things was way out of his depth of understanding but he knew enough to tell something had changed.

"There seems to be an... interference with our displacer." Doctor Viria spoke up, not willing to risk anyone's life if Mister Canassis didn't like it. "It is being solved."

Corin hated how defiance filled the room as they locked eyes but she stood her ground, everyone else simply watching their interaction. The woman didn't necessarily agree with this situation's moral fallout, money that came from it was a different story.

"It better be." All other scientist averted their eyes in fear as his frustration was voiced, they knew what it could mean. Their . "Message me when it's done."

He supposed blame was his for letting a mere employee get full of themselves, though Viria knew how to make herself valuable. She had been responsible for design and testing every machine in this lab, the theory (followed by proof) also came from her. It would be a cold day in hell before this man threatened her or a member of her team again.

"Yes, sir." Sarcasm trailed after her steps, the five reasons why plans had slowed hearing only a faint clicking from above as she went back to work.

Four of them looked at the fifth one in expectation, all in varying degrees of confusion.

"Were you the one to send that invitation?" The man F-One knew to be the Doctor spoke up, seemingly over whatever made him like that moments ago. In truth, he'd chosen to deal with it later, preferably never.

"Yes." Hair surprisingly intact after their running, she took a seat on a protruding pipe. "I suppose you would like an explanation as to why?"

"It'd be nice." Bill spoke when all he did was raised his eyebrows, she'd done her best to sound friendly and it seemed to work.

"Well, then I suggest all of you take a seat because it is a bit of a long story."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓༓・*˚⁺‧͙

it is currently 23:22 here where I live and I'm very proud because I wrote 3/4 of this chapter today (as opposed to evenly spreading writing over three days). I'm putting the blame on how isolation is finally getting to me but that's okay because finishing this part (in 1-2 chapters) means series ten which means series eleven and Thirteen and that's gonna be fun.

Also, thank you to everyone reading this. Please don't be silent!