↳ the pyramid at the end of the world #3

It hadn't taken long for them to get into a comfortable rhythm of work. Nardole set up a private server for them, with green, orange and yellow folders. Ophelia skimmed through whatever everyone forwarded her, the four humans searching tirelessly through way too many classified documents, and separated them into the folders but nothing of interest showed up yet.

"Doctor, listen." Brabbit stopped for a few moments, lines of text still running in his eyelids.

"What?" The alien, standing behind Ophelia's chair and to his cyborg's right, turned to face the one speaking.

"Isn't it worth at least just considering doing the deal?" He leaned back, tired of this tension.

"What deal?"

"All we have to do is consent." Leave it to men to not understand how powerful and important consenting is.

"That's what the Secretary-General thought." Ophelia snapped while typing impossibly fast. "They burned him."

"He was afraid." The military leader insisted, not addressing that pesky girl. "I'm not being afraid, I'm being smart."

"Yeah, being smart is not giving away your planet." The Doctor deadpanned to his face, quickly turning to address everyone else. "So, an accident, leading to irrevocable consequences. I like bacteria." Nardole got appraisal while he turned into who students at Saint Luke's had grown used to: a teacher who would not give straight answers. "They can spread. Once they're out, you can't put them away again. What could they do? What do you depend on?"

"Air, water, food, beer." Nardole's options mostly pleased him.

"Air, water and food." He began to take small steps back and forward, an idea surging. "Let's say something's going to change, something is going to be released. Something new, something fast. I'm feeling... I'm feeling biochemical. Check biochemical trials."

"On it." Ophelia's frantic typing continued while her mostly mechanical friend searched the internet.

"Doctor." Brabbit stood up, facing this weird man that somehow was in charge of them all. "That world was dead a year from now. We should at least go in there and talk."

"There are about a hundred thousand biochemical trials going on right now." Nardole said from his spot against the wall, every relevant file being uploaded to their cloud server.

"Specifically related to GM bacteria." The time lord's filter worked well, kind of.

"Six thousand." Ophelia and him began to work in tandem, filtering through sordid projects.

"How many have reached stage two?" He asked then continued to deal with the military man. "You cannot accept their offer."

"Why not?" Ilya rose from his seat to join the discussion.

"Because whatever the price is, it's too high." If these humans began to question him, things would definitely take a turn for the worse.

"Four hundred and twenty eight." His newest companion cut through their display of human arrogance.

"It's too many, and we don't even know if you're right." Xiaolian agreed from behind her tablet.