↳ the eaters of light #2

Bill would have to buy new pants, or maybe just raid the TARDIS wardrobe again, soon. Because skinny jeans were not made for being pushed knees first into a narrow passageway with loose rocks all over it, much less crawling down it with her friend (and a monster) right behind. It said something how it was more surprising to have the pants survive this than standing up to have a sword pointed at her face.

Again.

Ophelia's body tensed, ready for a fight even if it'd be one lithe girl against several roman soldiers. Her best friend would be pushed aside, steal a sword and then... Then she herself got hurtled forwards, an undignified scream emerging as one of that alien's glowy tentacles ran down her neck, pushing both girls further inside.

"Block the entrance! Quickly, hurry up!"

At the legionnaire's command, everyone began to throw stones into the opening, pushing back lit up up tentacles. Even the newcomers threw their little rocks until one soldier closed their way out for good.

"How long will that hold?" One asked the same guy who'd held them at swordpoint.

"Not for long." Ophelia then staggered backwards with gasping breaths, getting everyone's attention. "Now bring her through, where we can have a better look at her."

She dearly wished to have been more aware so as not to have any need for being nearly carried by her best friend and pushed around by some random (seemingly angry) men but alas, it was how people guided her properly into the cave. After that narrow passageway, it widened to form a vast space, with small fires covering a rough perimeter but they went to the big campfire signaling their central position.

"You do realise the beast now knows where we are?"

"You're not one of the barbarians." The man who looked like he was in charge forewent answering his subaltern to look at the girls with interest in his eyes.

"No." Bill answered quickly. "So, you're the Ninth Legion?"

"We are what's left."

"Simon should be back." Their conversation was interrupted by another African soldier questing his friend's whereabouts.

"He was looking for the road." One legionnaire that looked like the leader's brother directed at both girls. "Our route south. Did you see him?"

"Briefly." Ophelia gathered strength to tell them the truth.

"Well, where is he?"

"I'm sorry." She said in earnest, looking as many soldiers as possible so they could see the truth. "That creature killed him. We have no idea what it is or where it came from."

"It killed him?"

"It did." Her words kept on coming. "He was covered in this, this sort of, black slime."

Unbeknown to them, some of that had attached to her neck.

It knows where we are. We'll all die here in the dark.

"No one is going to die."

While legionnaires were reassured by their leader, Bill looked fondly at her best friend. The girl had been attacked by some weird alien monster and bounced right back to talk to these guys, which might not have gone so well if Bill'd taken the lead. Sure, these past months she'd become great at keeping her cool but still... Ophelia Watson.