↳ the pyramid at the end of the world #2

Sometimes Ophelia wished she'd picked an easier life for herself, a nice little cottage lost in the woods where books and tea would keep her company. But that would be no fun, would it? What could possibly beat cruising towards the hostile alien habitat inside stuffy vehicles? At least, she considered, Brabbit had taken another transportation instead of joining the TARDIS crew.

"So, why is the pyramid active now?" Bill asked the man most likely to know an answer.

"Possibly they know they're about to be bombed." His eyes still hidden behind sonic glasses couldn't see what unfolded next.

A B52 airplane that had been sent out on the president's orders had its journey abruptly interrupted by beaming orange light. Instead of being capable of turning back to base, it hovered in horizontal suspension. Back where they'd started earlier, the party of seven watched as their attack plan got lowered into shrubby vegetation.

"It's the Monks." Nardole's description of what happened seemed to aid his own belief rather than the blind man. "They've hijacked the plane. How did they do that?"

Both girls breathed in dry air slowly, trying very hard to fight back fear, while way ahead of them the three monks did a smart left-turn and walked back inside their lair. Thankfully all three aircrew members came out of the structure unharmed.

"Oh, they're fine." Nardole kept on talking. "The crew are alive."

"Who are those people?" Ophelia asked their military friends given three more throughly disoriented guys came out in striped shirts and dark pants.

"I think they're ours." Ilya, the Russian leader, offered.

"Yours?" Bill turned right to look at him.

"We targeted the pyramid with a missile." Eight people watched aghast as, with a with rushing winds, the beam delivered what looked like long cylinder with a propeller at the end, which stuck up out of the ground in an way that it was never designed for. "From a submarine."

"So demonstrating strength isn't going to help." The Doctor always knew how to make his words sound ominous, though it wasn't intentional most of the time.

If watching a plane be high jacked wasn't enough to rattled their hearts, having a submarine missile planted as if it were a tree should have done the trick. Should both things fail, they definitely got scared out of their pants by what happened next.

Whoever happened to be in the general vicinity heard that sibilant voice call.

"We are ready to talk."

༓☾☽༓

There was a special type of sadism in forcing people to dig their own grave and walking towards that opening in the pyramid felt like doing so. Each step felt like they should be running away, figuring out some other manner of dealing with this instead of negotiating with a rather ugly race of aliens but Xiaolian led the way. Their clearly divided group, four powerful humans and four time travelers, plus some soldiers let the president take the lead but no monks were waiting for them.

"I mean, this is a trap, right?" Bill asked once everyone but her, Lia and the Doctor had moved on.

"Possibly." He briefly placed his right hand on the wall. "Probably."

"And we're just walking into it." She hurriedly followed both friends while holding her phone's lantern up.

"Well, every trap you walk into is a chance to learn about your enemies." Ophelia opted for staying quiet while pocketing an unnecessary pair of glasses, the time lord's voice echoing. "Impossible to set a trap without making a self-portrait of your own weaknesses."