↳ thin ice #5

Even with an impending sense of doom looming over them, Ophelia managed a smile at the Doctor's direction, he gave them a be safe and they parted ways to act out a not so safe plan. Sure, she'd have preferred to stay with him but he'd probably do something idiotic or self sacrificing, during which he'd not be able to guarantee her safety. So of the two went, thinking of a way to get everyone off the ice before a big fish began to swim freely.

"We should try to find Kitty." Ophelia's suggestion was easily accepted by Bill.

"That's a good idea." Both lifted up their skirts to run around in hopes of finding the urchin leader.

That girl most likely knew every nook and cranny over the ice, having used it as stages for many cons over time. If they wanted people's safety to be guaranteed, she was their best bet at getting everyone out of there in one piece. It didn't take long to find the urchins, who were playing their lost dog piece. Kitty was about to pick a pocket when Bill tapped her on the shoulder, not her smartest choice because the girl nearly ran away before Ophelia grabbed her arm.

"Need help, need it now." Bill joined them, trapping Kitty between two older girls. "Are you in?"

"Where's your friend?" The Doctor has gone off to cause mayhem, with a side dish of bringing down a racist prick.

"Not here." Bill's short answer didn't satisfy Kitty.

"What's he doing?" Her voice was harsher than a girl her age should be.

"Not sure." Be safe, that went both ways Ophelia prayed while answering. "But whatever it is, I don't think we're going to miss it."

Did caring about people mean this awful feeling every time they were in danger? Ophelia hoped not because it'd be horrible to have such a heavy heart every time they stepped out of the TARDIS. Putting her emotions in a corner to be dealt with later, all three girls spread out but stayed within each other's sights. A few minutes later every urchin that Kitty took care of began call out to people, all of whom promptly responded.

"The thaw! The thaw is here!" Dottie no longer had a top hat on, instead she wore a pale pink bonnet. Paired with her innocent eyes and blonde hair, that little girl made people believe in her, fleeing from the cracking ice.

"A lady fell through the ice!" Kitty ran right behind her acting as if they had never met, after all two witnesses were more credible than one.

"The ice is melting!" Ophelia's voice held so much desperation that it caused the contortionist's entire audience to flee.

"Quick! Get to the shore!" Bill ran through people still milling between barracks, successfully having them leave.

Sutcliffe stood atop those same steps they'd taken to come down yesterday morning, checking his watch only to see it was almost noon. Chaotic screaming began to reach his ears as a crowd reached the riverside, clambering upstairs until they reached him.

"It's a mistake!" He stood facing them in vain. "The ice isn't melting." One, two, five, eight people ran past him. "I swear to you, there is no thaw!"

But there was no way to stop the people running up the steps to the shore. Infuriated, he descended into the frozen river to see what had gone wrong with his plan.

"The ice is melting!" Harriet, still in her boy clothes, banged a couple of pans together while yelling as loud as possible.

"Quickly, quickly, that's it." Bill's kindness impressed people, some definitely changed by it.

Ophelia's eyes surveyed the Frost Fair, checking for any stragglers before they were caught by a rather (though not surprising) sight: another of lord douchebag's henchmen laid out the fuse wire across the ice as douchebag himself checked on a small box propped near where they'd stolen diving suits from.