↳ thin ice #2

There were so many things to do at this frost fair, Ophelia's eyes shone with amazement. Not once had she been allowed anywhere further than a hundred feet from whoever her ward was and considering not one Canassis would be caught dead in a place like this, every opportunity became a big first. Her first street food came from a kind popcorn vendor (courtesy of the Doctor), major second hand embarrassment as Bill spat out some concoction that did not taste like strawberry jam at all. Though Bill seemed like a complete opposite to her quiet nature, Ophelia could feel both the girl and the Doctor making their way into a long forgotten part of her heart. Instead of being forced to care for them, she'd decided to do so by herself.

All three hand entered a skittle tent where Bill was quick to play this strange game, which she was apparently great at. With a single ball, every pin went down and people cheered in celebration.

"Pub champion." She offered as an explanation to her company, both of which looked impressed. "Two years running." 

"Ah." The Doctor smiled at both of them before walking further into the tent, leaving them to gaze with wonder at strange green lights under the ice. Ophelia looked at a confused Bill, trying to make sense of what was that until their attention was caught by a smug looking Doctor, who held a brand new top hat in his hands.

The trio walked outside to even more people roaming around, they enjoyed attractions while salesmen tried to get them to come to their tents.

"Best fish pies on the ice. Try your luck, ladies and gentlemen! Toss for a pie!" One salesman announced to them, his yelling sounded over even the enthusiastic cheering for a couple of acrobats doing complicated balance moves (even more so considering they were standing on ice). With nothing better to do than get distracted to forget those strange lights, Ophelia led them into the shop.

There were shelves lining every wall except for the door, each filled a variety of products used on the best fish pies on ice. Ophelia and the Doctor stood across from Bill with this strange little man between them, she amazed by every object and him keeping an eye on the vendor. He took Bill's coin and flipped it; heads she got her coin back and a pie, tails he kept the coin and gave her a pie.

Unfortunately the result was not in favor of Saint Luke's lunch lady who could do nothing but sigh.

"Better luck next time, miss." The Doctor and Ophelia shared a look of mistrust, the latter having dealt with her fair share of crooked people to know he'd probably manipulated this game.

"And you're sure this isn't cow brains or sheep eyes or..." Bill stops talking as he hands her the pie she has bought on top of a paper towel.

"I caught the fish myself, miss. Made it right here in the old...." As he turned around to show the girl just where he'd made his pies, The Doctor got caught red handed trying to steal something.

"Hey!" Ophelia got pulled back to reality by an exclamation of surprise. "What are you about?"

Apparently being a time lord came with side dishes of kleptomania, judging by what had happened today.

"Do that again." He asked the vendor and Ophelia walked up to them. "Toss the coin."

"Pay me another and I will." Daanish, she found out from a hastily written register, sassed back.

The Doctor handed over a coin while Bill ate her pie, not too long after she offered a bite to her friend, both girls trying to not get fish all over their nice clothes. Eating pies were usually messy affairs, crusts could get all over so Ophelia had her neck bent low while taking a bite which gave a perfect view of tiny green lights again.