↳ extremis #1

Memories were so much worse in the dark. It forced you to stare at the abyss and let yourself be consumed wholly; joys, heartbreaks, regrets, loves, all of it. Well over two thousand lived years made for a banquet if you had a heavy conscience. The Doctor spent a week threading dangerously close to an edge that would have no return, his friends feared.

"I'm worried about you." Ophelia whispered to him, knowing that he'd not find any offense by this like some people were prone to when cared about.

Even if he stood onstage behind the lectern and she sat front row, he'd been able to understand perfectly, other senses sharpening to compensate for being blind. Also his sonic glasses helped by showing the rough outlining of surroundings, including one assistant with crossed legs and book forgotten.

"You really shouldn't be."  His voice echoed, given only two people occupied a space made for almost three hundred.

Not long had passed since their ill fated trip to that space mining station, four days of reminiscing old memories in darkened rooms (three had been spent focused on Ophelia's recovery. Damn her fast healing). Right now, for example, he was reminded of a time only recently appreciated. A week ago each seat was filled as lessons on whatever topic got delivered to bright young minds, Bill would be seating straight in the middle to get a great view while Ophelia sat by where he'd come down once teaching was done and all three would get a bite to eat before going to meet Nardole, who'd come to appreciate both girls immensely. Now all of that was gone, with Bill trying to find a new place to live and his male companion obsessed with watching over that vault and he remained stuck at Saint Luke's.

"I still am." Then she smiled from her usual seat, giving the Doctor a reminder that not everything was bad. So long as there were tea mugs, story books and Ophelia Watson, he'd be okay.

"Your problem." They'd have continued this for hours, bickering gently, probably even finish a river in the forest because it was a lot better to focus on someone else's problems. But then the back door opened, several people walking in.

"Hello?" He asked as his companion walked upstairs hastily to stand beside him, both behind the lectern, none seeing properly due to having minimal light sources coming from semi open windows. "Hello? Who's there?"

"Good evening, Doctor." An Italian man, judging by accent, in a Red Cardinal's robes walked down the central steps. "We have come here today direct from the Vatican."

"Oh, right." The Doctor resorted to irony, imagining Ophelia's confused and slightly interested expression. "That's nice. Well, if you've got a collecting tin, I'm sure I can find something. Er, leaky roof, is it?"

"Doctor..." Not that she was a huge fan of the Catholic Church as an institution but still they'd come all this way.

"Oh, no." Nardole burst in through a side door, just as unexpected as an entourage of church people, ran upstage and stood behind him. "No, no, no, no, no. Stop talking. Stop now. Please, just listen to them. It sounds important."

"We have come here to see you because your services and wisdom are recommended at the highest level." All three stared as he finished walking downstairs, handing an old scroll to Nardole who read it before handing it over so the girl could see it as well. "As you can see, this is the personal recommendation of Pope Benedict IX. In 1045."

"Pope Benedict." That name got a sardonic smile out of him. "Lovely girl. What a night. I knew she was trouble, but she wove a spell with her castanets."

"Doctor! On behalf of every human soul in this world, of any creed, of any faith, with the utmost respect and in complete secrecy, His Holiness, the Pope, the Bishop of Rome, requests most urgently, a personal audience." Their visitor gestured frantically until a man in white robes came out from behind his guards.