↳ thin ice #1

While Bill continued to gaze with wonder at the elephant right in front of them, Ophelia looked to her left where their Doctor seemed to not quite believe where they had landed.The ice was something she'd never quite felt in all of her years. The noisy, cheerful people caught Bill's disbelieving gaze, their period dress exquisite. Blackfriars Bridge, if her handmaiden's memory didn't fail, with St Paul's on the foggy skyline. Though things were probably going to end horribly, Ophelia couldn't help but smile at how the other girl's hair caught snowflakes.

"Okay." Bill walked back a couple of steps and turned to the Doctor. "So I have questions."

Her brown eyes caught Ophelia's hazel ones, expecting to see a similar expression. Both girls were ignored by him, who just licked a finger and used it to feel the air. Whatever that weird action had been used to discover must have been worrying because his brow furrowed, he then turned back into the TARDIS. Bill wondered at what laid outside before following her two friends back inside, shutting a door as if it made things normal again.

Inside, Ophelia looked at how the Doctor's hands moved through levers and buttons (it would probably move them because hey! it's no good to park on top of a frozen river). She'd seen so much even if it limited to laboratories or that mansion, going a few hundred years back in time seemed like nothing big. This ship screamed potential at her on the other hand, even standing in this room gave of a feeling infinite possibilities.

"You didn't tell me we could travel to parallel worlds!" Old habits died hard, Bill would soon learn that about their new companion. Her eyes beckoned the petite girl forward from a spot bu the outer walls as her words resounded, tinged with disbelief.

Ophelia had never been herself, every movement dictated by someone else (even her great escapade plan had been somewhat orchestrated by others), so the prospect of enjoying all this freedom looked like a daunting task. Even more so considering most of what she knew relied on technology that would take a couple hundred years to get ready. All in all, the girl felt incredibly small.

"Not a parallel world." The time lord sometimes forgot not everyone was used to living all over timelines, never doing days in a straight order. He was quick to pull up an image in the console's screen.

"But that's London..." Bill's young adult mind still had trouble wrapping around what'd just happened. How had they gone from a huge party to Regency Era England?

"Our London." With a dramatic flair, he showed them the screen with a grainy black aerial image of London, the Thames cutting through it. His body moved on auto pilot around, pulling levers and pushing buttons. "The last great Frost Fair, 1814. February 4th."

There was a certain satisfaction in Ophelia, she'd gotten it right out there back then. Though she doubted anyone would hand out punishments for wrong guesses, it stirred a nice feeling inside to have done enough for a quick proud glance to be thrown her way. She got a sudden feeling it would be so easy getting used to being here with them. Unlike a Canassis, the Doctor seemed entirely too transparent with his gesturing around, a bit of excitement showing through his frustration. Bill followed him around the console, her personality adding life to this mechanical looking room.

"Hang on, why aren't we home?" Bill sounded as if this had just come to mind. "Can't you steer this thing?"

A flickering of lights made the ex handmaiden think their means of transportation got a little upset by being called a 'thing'. The Doctor paid no mind as he powered up the TARDIS, a familiar wheezing sound signaling they were moving.

"You don't steer the TARDIS, you reason with it." He took two steps to the right and pulled out a lever, sending a puff of smoke over them all.

"How?" Ophelia's voice sounded foreign even to herself, tinged with a hesitation. The Doctor then looked at her with understanding eyes, like he too knew what a internal fight it would take to break out of mental conditioning; Bill just looked delighted a word had come from her (after all, it'd be hard to make friends with a non talking person).