↳ the eaters of light #1

One, two, three, four, five, six.

"I can't believe it!" Nardole yelled in frustration when his character, Miss Scarlet (it reminded him of River), got stuck in a doorway. "It's like one space."

"You know the rules, Dole." Ophelia laughed at him. "Now you're stuck and I get to win."

Both had ditched a heated argument over Roman history in favor of playing the old board game Missy had left up there for them after briefly piloting this ship. It felt like being home, the TARDIS constantly humming helped her maintain focus on the here and now, on this ohana.

Yeah, that word could be used to describe them just fine. Everyone broken then put back together, some pieces missing but they had each other's backs.

"That's not fair." He pouted while she held the little orange envelope up triumphantly.

"It is life, mon ami." Her smiling lightened up the room.

Two weeks after their trip to Mars, during which she'd remained behind with the excuse of guarding the vault, and a month since the whole mummified monks take over our planet thing, their dynamic as a group had gone back to (almost) normal. Except now Nardole had taken to hanging around her a lot more (nothing to do with how a certain time lady seemed to listen to her), the Doctor looked more pensive than usual (it irked him how quickly Missy and Lia bonded, he certainly was not jealous though, also there was something bothering her) and Bill stood up for herself. Which would've come with stuttering or self doubt months ago, but saving a planet tended to serve as one hell of a confidence booster.

"Not everything is alien!" She exclaimed, pushing off from the console.

"An entire legion just vanishes and you think it's not alien?" He faced his other female company with mock exasperation. "Not even humans could do that."

"Oi!" Bill knocked shoulders with him.

"No offense but I've been around for a while." Both people arguing looked at Ophelia, who'd snorted loudly. "I think I know more about Romans than you do."

Nardole excused himself to get something from the kitchen, that meant finishing their chocolate covered pretzels, leaving her to watch them amusedly.

"You think you're so smart..." Bill's eyes narrowed as an idea formed.

"I am, thank you very much." He drummed on some buttons, his ship humming its own opinion.

"Let's make a bet then." She offered, both remembering how the last bet had had great results, it'd given them Ophelia Watson after all.

"What could you possibly offer me?"

"If I win, we go to Disneyland." The girls had been dying to go there, him not so much. "And if you do... then I'll make sure Professor Wayne backs off."

"I'd take that." Ophelia would do pretty much anything to ensure that older lady stopped hitting on the Doctor, it was uncomfortable to watch that every time they walked through campus.

"I will take that." He had no problem with a good flirt but professor Wayne rubbed him in the wrong way. She was also terribly mean to both his companions. "A little help please."

While Bill searched for something on the internet, her best friend approached the console with reverence. Just in case of emergencies, pretty much every adventure with these four, other people needed the ability to fly them back to safety. It did help his assistant had an uncanny ability to learn things, between him and Missy, she was shaping up to be an excellent pilot.

"Not that I am complaining." Vortex stabilizers began to work. "But shouldn't we stay close to the vault, just in case?"

"It'll be a quick trip." Bill didn't miss their secretive exchange of looks, she let it go because at least they were being their normal selves again. "And technically, we're not even leaving the planet."