10

When I was in Grade 6, one of my classmates had brought a flashdrive in school. We had a 40 inch television in our room and since the year was already coming to an end and we have finished all our requirements, the teacher had allowed us to watch movies. My classmate said her flashdrive contains many movies and there's one which she really wanted to watch. It's called Chainsaw Massacre. Everyone agreed, so the flashdrive was inserted into the tv, and we sat down excitedly. But that movie became my nightmare for a few weeks. The blood and the brutality kept on flashing in my mind, that I cannot sleep and feared the nightfall. My mother got so worried I might crack so she took me to a child psychiatrist. Since then, I was told not to watch gruesome movies.

I thought at this age, I might have overcome that fear. But I was wrong.

"Your parents are coming," Sir Gacayan said after calling my mother and Janeth's dad. He sat opposite us in the faculty room.

The air conditioning unit made us shiver with cold sweat. I'm still feeling a bit sick, but compared to Janeth, I seem to be much better. She's so pale and looks like she's about to puke any minute once again.

Right after we saw the dead rat in Janeth's drawer, we ran out of the room to the faculty and fortunately our adviser is still there. With two other teachers, they went to the room and took the rat, while Ms. Capalaran talked to us.

I didn't understand what they said after, something like investigating what happened. I keep breathing deeply and forcing my mind to erase the horrible image.

"Sir Edwin, the principal wants to talk to you," a teacher said.

Sir Gacayan stood, told us to wait, then went out again.

"Shall we wait outside?" I asked Janeth.

She nodded, so we took our bags and went to sit on a bench in front of the faculty. There were very few students walking towards the gate, since most had already left.

"I don't know if I can eat," Janeth said.

"My mother will kill me if I don't eat so, I guess I'll force myself." I gave a hollow laugh.

"You know what, who could be pranking us? First, Mara. Then now, me!" She sounded exasperated. "If I know who that bitch is, I'm going to..." But she was not able to finish her sentence. Her father came running towards us, he is looking like an angry bull frog.

"I am going to talk to the school admin! I want this to be investigated!" he said heatedly as soon as he arrived.

"Dad, they said they will. Let's go home--" Janeth said, trying to calm his father.

"No! This can't pass, no!"

I watched them as they walk back to the faculty room.

Now, where's my mom?

I took my phone just in time to see a message from her.

[Are you fine? Can you come home without me anak? Dad told me to bring him spare clothes this afternoon. Let's talk later.]

Sighing, I replied yes then stood. I walked back to the faculty room to tell Sir Gacayan that I'm going home. I saw him sitting at his desk, looking harassed. I think he sent Janeth and her father to the principal.

He smiled when he saw me, "Your mother's there?"

"No, sir. Er.. she's going to visit my father. I'm fine now sir, I can go home alone," I added because he suddenly looked worried.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, Sir. My house is just near, and besides, it's still early." I forced a smile to assure him.