29

Kiko Avila's POV (At last, hehe)

I've been quiet for a while.

I'm the type of person who never speaks his mind unless necessary, and I really am not fond of caring. Frankly, I have mastered the art of not giving a fvck.

Not until this girl was forced to sit with me and my twin brother. Yes, she was forced, I could feel it whenever she scowled at us. Roseanna Chabellina Posedio-- weird name, someone who is aloof, always alone like us, and very plain that you won't bother looking at her twice. But then, as the days go by, I saw her for who she really was---annoying but in a cute way, simply pleasant, and I find her desire for food adorable. She doesn't look like she cares, but she really does. The way she patiently walks around the school to look for Koki, or sometimes for me, I came to appreciate that there is one person in this world who will care where I was or what I am doing.

But now that girl needs to be protected.

And will do anything to keep her from harm, even if it will cost my life.

"Aren't you going to school again?"

I zipped up my jacket and glanced at my twin who is already in his uniform.

"I already told you the answer," I said then put on my cap. "Are you fetching her from their house?"

Koki stared at me. We've been having this cold war since last week, when I told him I am starting to fall for this girl.

He didn't react at first, though I know we are having the same feeling for her. I wanted to fight him---actually I did punch him once when he told me to back off. But I guess, blood is really thicker than water-- I can't be mad at someone I shared the first heart beat with just because of what I feel.

So I will back off. But I will not refrain from standing behind this girl. I will protect her.

"I'll tell Sir Gacayan for you," he said then walked out. I followed him.

At the gate, he turned to me. "Are you still heading off to that wretched place?"

"I have to," I said, passing by him and getting on my motorbike.

Koki watched me start the engine. "When did you start fighting around?" I knew that question is sort of a joke. Because between us two, it's him who is a troublemaker. I can't count how many times he went home with bruises on his face or with some of his bones cracked.

We had this agreement that I'll do the digging, and he'll watch Rose in school. "Go on your way, you know how early Rose comes to school these days. That curious chipmunk," I told him.

The corner of Koki's mouth twitched into a smirk.

"Call me if something happens," Koki said and went away. I put on my helmet and kicked off to my destination.

I haven't been five minutes on the road when my phone rang. I pressed the button on the motorbike handle to connect me to the call.

"What's up, Xave?" I asked immediately. Xave is my father's private hired investigator. I don't usually consider his help unless necessary. But seeing these weird incidents in school, and seeing how the administration does not require utmost investigation due to fear that it will impair the school's name, it made me get up and do something. Now that the girl I consider as the most important is getting involved, I can't stand by and wait.

"Positive, Kiko," Xave said. I can hear his steps echo like he is in a deserted enclosed space. "Are you coming?"

"Yes. I'm on my way now," I said, turning to the left. I can see the black tower where my destination is. "I can see Manzan Tower now. Are you leaving?"