19

Kiko and Koki did not return to class until lunch time. Even we had the test in Sir Buskan's period, they didn't show up. I am now starting to get a bit worried. I mean, they might have been scolded because of what they were doing in class. What if their father pull them out of school? I decided not to think about it until Lance himself opened up the topic. We are eating together as usual, this time he had brought two big slices of strawberry cake for dessert. We are half-way through cake when he said the very same question I had in mind.

"What if they got pulled out? You know, with the reputation they have..." Lance said as he put remove the icing from the cake. He doesn't like the icing, so he's giving them to me.

"I don't know. What do you think?"

"Well... It depends upon how much the teachers would say about them. If I were the father, of course, I will ask in detail about my sons."

I nodded in agreement. "I hope they're alright."

Lance tapped my shoulder, "Don't worry Rose. You know those two can get out of trouble pretty well."

I smiled. Exactly the words I need. "Yeah, you're right." I happily ate the rest of my cake.

"By the way, what happened to your quest of the necklace's owner?"

"Mm.. she had contacted me." I put my spoon back in the lunch box, then carefully tucked it away in my bag. "We're going to meet later."

"Really? Why don't you just meet during break time?"

"I don't know..." I looked at Lance. Maybe I should ask him. "Speaking of which, Lance, do you happen to know someone named Elle?"

"Elle? In our year?" He frowned while thinking. "I... don't think so. What's the surname?"

I shrugged, "Dunno. She just mentioned her name."

Lance didn't answer. He sort of thought about something for a while, before looking at me again. "Rose. I've been wanting to ask you this before..."

"What is it?"

"Well.. Uhm... It's about the pranks that happened..." He smiled a bit. "Do you have an idea who did it?"

I stared at him, remembering what I have heard this recess from Hannah Brenton. But I should not tell Lance about it. Janeth is not like that. So, I shook my head, "I have no idea. Why do you ask?"

Lance seemed to have hesitated a bit, because he sort of lowered his voice. "Because I think I know who did it."

My mouth opened, "What? What do you mean you know?"

"It's..." He sighed, "I don't want you to have any bad perception of this person but I think you have the right to know. Seeing as you are getting  closer by the day."

"Lance, can you please tell me directly." I insisted. Because I am getting into my nerves--a part of me wants to know who it is, but another part wants Lance to just shut up. Seeing Lance is still hesitating, I held his hand. "Who is it?"

"Uhm... D-Don't tell anyone, okay?"

"Who is it?" I repeated.

"Promise me!"

"Okay. Promise. I won't tell anyone--"

"It's Kiko Avila."

---

No. I mean. I saw a girl. It's clear.

But Lance's voice echoed in my head.