15

Have you ever felt a certain moment when something seems to be clogging your throat, and your heart beats so wildly that your chest hurts?

I felt that once. When my pet rabbit died. It was my first loss. Though I didn't cry back then, I remembered how painful it was to realize that something important to you won't be there anymore.

My left knuckle is white on the door knob, and I swallowed as I stare at Koki's back. I curled my right hand into a fist and dabbed it a bit harder on my chest. I drew a deep breath, and my eyes watered.

Ah, Rose, it's because of your allergy!

Yes, that could be it. No other reasons for this reaction. I know I should go because I am invading their privacy but---

"Ow!" My knees gave way.

Koki turned to me and I heard Doc. Rita gasp. She stood, but before she could approach me, Koki was already beside me. He held my hand and heaved me up.

"What happened to you, Rose?" He asked, but I refused to look at his eyes.

I felt my cheeks turn hot, I don't know. Maybe I'm embarrassed that I have seen them.

"Have her seated here, that's it," Doc. Rita took her stethoscope and leaned over me. I watched her as she checks on me. She knew I have seen her, didn't she? But why is she acting this coolly? Isn't she afraid I might tell the administration about this? I mean, Koki is a student here.

"This will sting a bit, but please bear with it," Doc. Rita said while preparing the syringe. After assessing my symptoms, she had phoned my mom and ask the medicine given for my allergy. "Give me your left arm."

I obliged, keeping my gaze down. I can't believe she is so calm after I saw them.

"Koki, hold her arm," Doc. Rita said and I felt him get near me.

I closed my eyes and shoved the image I saw just a while ago. My angst for Koki seemed to triple as I open my eyes and saw his feet. He stood in front of me and reached for my left wrist. I jerked my hand away, still determined not to look at him.

"Stay still," Doc. Rita said. Koki grabbed my hand.

I felt the alcohol-wet cotton dabbed at the spot where the needle will be injected. My heart started to thump wildly. I haven't had any injections since the last time I had an allergic reaction.

I felt the needle touch my skin. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply. It won't hurt, it won't hurt, it won't hurt--- I felt Koki tightened his grip. After a few seconds, right when Doc. Rita finished, he removed his grip and sat away from me.

The injection was quick, but it stung. Doc. Rita sat back down her desk and opened her log book. I kept my gaze on the small cactus on her desk.

"What did you eat for lunch?"

"Chicken and vegetables. I always eat those," I said quickly. "Maybe it's the cracker my classmate gave me."

She nodded and wrote something. "Next time, be wary of whatever you eat. You never know your allergy can be fatal."

"Okay." I stood. "Thank you, doc."

"Lie down for a while," Doc. Rita pointed towards the bed area. "You might get dizzy."

"It's alright. I have to go to class," I said. I was about to go to the door when Koki blocked me.

I looked at his shoulder. "Move away, please."

"No. You have to rest." He said authoritatively.

No use of avoiding his eyes. I looked up and glared at him. "I said I'm fine, so I will go back to class!"