chapter 6: Little drummer boy

• Dedicated to Rachel Anne Parson

Thump.

Clang.

Thump, thump.

Bang. Smash. Bang.

I awoke to loud noise and at the tender age of fifteen being startled awake was a bad thing. I glarred in the direction of the noise ready to pounce on whatever was the cause of the racket. My eyes landed on Jude with a wooden spoon a pot and two pot lids.

"What the hell are you doing?" I hissed.

"I'm being your wake up call sunshine," Jude laughed.

"And you decided to to that with the contents of the kitchen cupboard?" I snapped.

"Well I wanted it to be special," he shrugged. "You know something memorable."

"Well it wasn't," I growled turning towards my alarm clock. I sighed when I read the time. Seven thirty. On a holiday. Who did that?

"But its Christmas Eve," he smiled innocently. I sighed before sitting up. Today was the day we baked our gingerbread house and knowing Jude he probably wanted to get started on it. He looked up at me hopefully melting away any anger that was lingering.

"Fine but this time you can't eat the gingerbread pieces," I sighed as I pushed the covers to the side.

"I swear," he answered holding a hand over his heart. I knew right now he would say he wouldnt but in the end he would eat a few pieces. He always did.

"Yeah Yeah," I shook my head as I pulled my hair into a pony tail.

***

I stared into the fireplace as the memories filled my thoughts. Everything just seemed so simple back then. I know Jude and I had our share of ups and downs but nothing like these past few days. I mean aside from that one kiss. Everything else was just pure and innocent. At least that's how I remembered it. We were just best friends nothing else. Jude was probably just pressing my buttons to get a reaction out of me. I just needed to stop over thinking things. It meant nothing. That's it, pure and simple.

"Look what I found," Jude's voice said from just behind me. I felt him lean over the back of the couch so I could see whatever he was holding. I sucked in a slight breath when I realized just how close he was to me. 'Don't over think it Delilah,' I told myself silently as I turned to looked at him.

"The gingerbread molds?" I asked arching an eyebrow at him. "But we do that on Christmas eve."

"I figured we should do it today," he smiled flopping himself over the back of the couch so his head was practically on my lap.

"Oh and why is that?" I asked skeptically.

"Well we have a Christmas party on Christmas eve this year," he answered looking up at me with his big warm eyes. "Apparently it's going to be a formal thing. One of the neighbours invited us all."

"Oh," I breathed quietly frowning slightly. Did I even own anything formal?

"Whats wrong?" Jude questioned noticing my change in mood.

"I don't think I have anything to wear. Maybe I'll just stay home and read," I shrugged.

"I don't think so," he shot back. "We'll go buy something for you to wear. The gingerbread house can wait."

"It really isn't that big of a deal," I answered. "You know I don't really do parties."

"Nonsence," Jude sighed sitting up. "Come on I'll go get my keys. I rolled my eyes at him but followed after him. I knew when he got into these moods there was just no arguing it. I wouldn't win so it was better to just go along with it.

I found myself in the mall with Jude once again. This time though he was throwing sparkly dresses my way. Apparently Chistmas formal included a whole lot of glitter. I frowned slightly as he pushed me into a changing room.

"You know I don't have to look like a Christmas angel," I called through the door of the changing room as I tried on the first dress. It was white with a bunch of tulle and sparkles. All I was missing as the wings and halo.

"You have to let me see. I'll be the judge of that," he called back. I sighed as I cracked the door open a little.

"I look silly," I breathed quietly.

"Oh come on Delilah I'm sure its not that bad," he replied dryly. I reluctantly stepped around the door and instantly regretted it. Jude burst into a fit of laughter. I knew it looked silly but it surely wasn't that bad. "You look like the angel my mother sticks on top of our Christmas tree," he giggled uncontrollably.

"Okay well since you can't stop laughing I'd say this is a big no," I snapped slipping back into the dressing room.

The next few dresses didn't go very well either. One he said made me look like I stepped out of the set of the movie Frozen. Another one he said made me look like a widow in mourning. I was beginning to give up until I tried on the simple red dress we had picked out. It had a sweetheart neckline and came to my knees in a toned down ballerina style skirt. It was perfect and fit me like a glove. I stepped out from behind the door with a big smile spread across my face. My thoughts were answered when Jude bit his knuckles in approval. I quickly changed back into my regular clothes before paying for the dress.

"Well now that, that is done what do you say we go make that gingerbread house?" I asked with a smile.

"I thought you would never ask," he laughed.