Chapter 10

Christen's pov
Time passed by so much quickly than when I first arrived in Tokyo. I wanted to talk to Tobin, but I've just been so frustrated to even say a word to her. I couldn't even look at her. She ruined something that was important to me. Well, maybe not ruined it, but put a stop to it.

I barely spoke to Daniëlle in the last couple of days. We texted twice. One time before my game against New Zealand and once right after my game against Brazil that we won 4-2. I scored 2 and assisted 1.

Oh, I should probably mention that I'm going to be starting every match from now on. That's only because Megan got injured. It was during the second half. She was making her way to the net and one defender tried to tackle the ball. Pinoe tried to jump over her, but she landed badly and dislocated her knee somehow. We were already up by two so we won. Obviously, I'm very sad for Megan, but I'm glad I finally get my chance to show the world what I can really do and not be the second choice for once.

But let's go back to my issues. I don't know why Daniëlle's been so distant. I could've believed that it was because she was busy, but I've been texting with Jill so I know she isn't. Through her friend, I learned that she's been off for the last couple of days. Just like me. She didn't speak much and she spent majority of her spare time alone. I don't know what to do anymore.

Tobin's pov
So my plan worked. I knew that by telling Vlatko that Daniëlle's presence was disturbing for me and the others he would cut all the outside contact. What I didn't plan was that it would affect Christen that much. I just wanted to make Daniëlle pay, but it ended up backfiring at me. I just thought Chris would be better off without her. When we got all together to eat lunch, she didn't speak to me. She haven't spoke to me in days.

I talked to some girls about it and they made me face the truth. I do have feelings for Christen. I thought it was friendship, but for me it was more. For her it wasn't and that's why there was a problem. I've just felt that way for so long that I didn't even notice it anymore. But seeing her with the other girl made me realize that I want her to be with me, I want her to choose me. I want to be the one she cuddles with. The one she stresses about meeting the family. The one she calls to tell exciting news. I just want to be the one for her.

My thoughts got interrupted when someone knocked on the door. I don't know who it could be. I told Alex I needed to be alone so she left with a couple of other girls.

"Hi" what the- "Hi Christen" I said as I stood in the doorframe. "Are you going to let me in?" She asked. "Of course" I said as I stepped aside. "What's up?" I tried to act like I wasn't thinking about being with her seconds ago. "I want to talk to you" she sat on the bed. "About?" I waited for her to continue. At that moment, I was hoping that she had missed me. But my hopes got crushed when she said "about Daan"

"What?" I sighed. "Why did you do this? I know you well enough to be sure that her being here wasn't a real problem for you. So why did you do it? I was happy, Tobin. I thought that as my best friend you'd share that joy with me. I thought that you'd make the effort to get along with her because she obviously became a part of my life. I thought that you'd be happy for me. You know that all I ever wanted was to find someone to share these moments with. You were the one that was there for me when my last boyfriend broke my heart. You were the one that listened to me say a million times that I wanted to find the one while I was crying. I know you've seen how fucking happy I was with her by my side. And yet, you've still ruined it. Why Tobin? Why?" Chris finished and her voice was getting shaky. Fuck it.

"I thought you would finally see it" I sighed. "See what?" She asked. "That maybe I was the one" I said before I leaned in and kissed her. This kiss was all I've ever wanted for years. Years of waiting only to get pushed away. "What's the matter with you?" Chris almost shouted as she stepped back. "I come her and tell you about the person I'm seeing and you kiss me? It's so wrong" she said before heading for the door. "Wait" I called her out, but it was too late. She was gone.

Christen's pov
I can't believe she had done this. When I came into her room, I wanted to get explanations. I didn't expect this to happen at all. Fuck.

As soon as I was back to my room, I grabbed my phone. "Hi" I sighed as she picked up te call. "Hey" Daniëlle's voice poured into my ear. "What's happening? Is everything okay?" She asked when I didn't say anything for a while. "Not really" I started. "Why?" She questioned me quickly.

"Listen, I know it might not be the good timing for this because you're about to play against Japan, but I want to be completely honest with you even though I don't know what's actually happening between us. I just can't keep that from you" I told her. "What happened Chris? You're making me nervous" she said. "I kissed Tobin" I blurted out. "What?" She almost yelled in the phone. "Oh gosh no. I went to her room to confront her about her attitude and she ended up kissing me" I corrected myself quickly. "And I pushed her away of course" I added.

She stayed silent for so long, I had to make sure she didn't hang up on me. "Say something please" I pleaded her. Her silence was killing me. "I" she started to say, but was interrupted by someone calling her name. "I have to go" she told me before ending the call. I dropped my phone on the bed, but picked it back up when I got a text. 'What the hell did you say to Daan?' Jill texted me. Oh gosh.

Daniëlle's pov
We won the game. It was decent. "What was that?" Jill asked me. "What?" I frowned. "What the fuck did Christen tell you to make you play like that?" She asked again. "Play like what?" What the hell did she meant? "You got carded Daan. When it's friendly games or club games it's not so bad, but we're in quarterfinals! You made so many bad tackles that I don't get how you didn't get a red card. I've never seen you play so aggressively. It's like you didn't even wanted the ball you just wanted to hurt someone. So tell me what happened?"

"Tobin and Christen kissed" I sighed. "Tobin? Like the Tobin that chocked you?" Jill seemed as surprised as I was. "Yup" I nodded. I then proceeded to explain the backstory. "So why are you mad if she didn't initiate it and she pushed her away?" Jill questioned me when I was done. "Because I'm scared she'll choose her over me. They've known each other for years and from what others told me, they've always been extremely close, almost like a couple. And now I'm not quite in the picture anymore" I explained. "Damn what did this girl do to your little brain? Since when are you insecure, Daantje? She obviously chose you a while ago already. Stop making scenarios in your head and just call her. Tell her what you just told me. Get it off your chest and we'll go celebrate with the team after. Go" Jill took my phone and put it in my hand before leaving.

I dialed Christen's number and waited nervously. "Hey" she answered. "Congrats on your win" she told me. "Thank you" I murmured. I then repeated every word I told Jill before I could change my mind. "Is that why you have been distant?" She asked me when I was done. "Partly. It's also because if I talked to you a lot, it would make me miss you even more" I confessed. "Well I understand your reasoning but it's dumb" Chris said. "I know" I giggled.

"I have to go now. The team is waiting for me to go celebrate tge fact that we're going into semifinals" I told her when Jill came back into the room and told me to hurry up with her glare. "Have fun and don't be too wild" she said. "I'll try, but I'm a lioness, I'm always going to be wild" I joked. "Enjoy the rest of your day. I miss you. Say hi to the girls" I added before we hung up.

Now that this is settled, let's drink some champagne.