Chapter 23

Christen's pov
When I woke up, I expected to find a very sleepy Daniëlle next to me, but she was nowhere to be seen. The clothes she was wearing yesterday were in her laundry basket. As I made my way to the kitchen, I heard some loud sounds coming from outside. "What's that?" I asked Leah who was eating her cereals like every morning. "Daan is working outside and Jordan decided to help her" she told me as milk was trailing down her chin. "Wait, Chris" Leah held me back when I was about to leave. "Yes?" I frowned. "Sit please" she said and I was starting to be worried. I have a good relationship with her, but the look on her face had me worried.

"You know you're my friend and I love you a lot" she started. Oh no. Whenever someone starts a conversation like that, it never goes well. "I'm going to cut the bullshit. I just want to tell you to be patient with Daan" Leah told me. "What do you mean?" I questioned her. "I know your relationship has been a fairytale before yesterday, but it will get harder sometimes, like yesterday. I want you to really think. If you're going down that path with her you have to go down the whole way. I know she can come out as really confident, but she's fragile. What I wanted to tell you is to be careful with her. She can be hard to love sometimes, but believe me it's worth it. I don't want her to get hurt again. Since I've known her, she's been a true friend, the kind of person you only meet once. So just, take care of her" Leah said. "What do you mean again?" I asked. "What?" Leah questioned back. "You said you don't want her to get hurt again. What did you mean?" I asked again.

"It's not really my place to talk about that" Leah suddenly looked like she was on the defensive. "It's okay" I gave up the subject. She was obviously uncomfortable with the subject so I wasn't going to force her to say anything. "But don't worry. I want to go down that path the whole way with Daan by my side. We still have a lot of work and adapting to do, but we'll talk all the time we need. She's important to me and I wouldn't see myself do all of this without her" I assured Leah. "I'm glad. You can go see them now it was all I wanted to tell you" Leah said before going back to her room.

When I got outside, I almost got hit in the face by a plank of wood. "I'm sorry" Daan said putting the object back on the ground. "What are you doing?" I asked the two girls. "Well, I had to replace the part of the fence I messed up yesterday" Daan replied with obvious shame on her face. "Can we talk?" I asked her. "Of course. Hey, Jord. We'll take a break all right?" Daan told her and she agreed before going back in the apartment.

"I wanted to say I'm sorry" Daan said at the same time I was apologizing. "You go first" she then told me. "I need to apologize too. I shouldn't have put you in that situation. Me spending time with Tobin obviously made you uncomfortable. I'm not saying that it won't happen again, but next times, we won't be alone and I want you to be there too" I told her and she nodded. "I don't want to be controlling over you and you're free to do whatever, but I'd like to be there with you if you're really okay with it. I mean, with yesterday and all" Daan looked down.

"You know I would never lay a hand on you, right?" Daniëlle asked me. "I know" I put my hand on hers. "I can be really impulsive and explosive, but I would never hurt people I care about, never" Daan started to get worked up. "I know" I repeated. "Like I said, I believe you wouldn't do that, but I honestly don't get why you got so mad" I told her. "Well already the fact that you were with Tobin was messing woth my hand and after a couple drinks, seeing you two so close, it made me lose it. I remember my first love, for me it was everything, but then I got cheated on. I just couldn't handle getting hurt again" Daan confessed. It was the first time we ever talked about our past relationships.

"I just talked with Leah and she vaguely mentioned one of your relationships that doesn't go so well. Is it the same one?" I asked her. "Hmm no" she scratched her head which is a sign something's off. "I actually had a 'thing' years ago with another girl on the team and it went wrong" she said. That's all new information for me. "No one ever mentions it and I'm in good terms now with her" Daan quickly added. "Who is it?" I questioned her. I didn't even care if I sounded like the jealous girlfriend because I was. "With Beth" Daan sighed.