1

Emma had always been a bit of an outcast. She was the orphan girl who had moved from place to place. She never had a home or parents or friends to call her own. It had always been just her. She looked out for herself and it always worked out just fine. She moved to Denver when she aged out of the system. Why? She knew no one and no one knew her. It was a clean slate. In Denver she wasn't the baby left on the side of the road, she wasn't the problematic foster kid, she wasn't the girl from juvie, she was just Emma. That's all she ever wanted, and every day when  she looked out of her bedroom window and saw the rocky mountains she was reminded she was finally free to be herself (it also didn't hurt that she could light a joint whenever she wanted without much repercussion).

"Hey Emma do you mind getting more cat litter for Figaro today? He just ran out and I've got 2 presentations, a dissertation review, and David's taking me out for our anniversary."

Emma snapped out of her daydream and turned towards the voice in the bathroom, "Wait, what?"

"Litter? For Figaro? Please?"

"Yeah, yeah. Sure," she replied as she felt around the piles of clothes around her bed for a piece of clothing she deemed fitting to wear.

She finally found a white tank top and pulled it on over her sports bra. She was already wearing some basketball shorts so she rolled out of bed and headed towards the bathroom where her roommate was just finishing up.

"So how's the stubborn boyfriend anyway Mary Margaret? Think he's gonna propose tonight?" she asked while she put some toothpaste on her toothbrush.

"It would make memorizing the date easier," she teased as she put in her earrings, "But I'm sure he'll do it eventually."

Emma smirked a she started brushing her teeth, "You really love him don't you?"

"What's there not to love? He's intuitive, brave, courageous, and easy on the eyes. It's like he's my very own Prince Charming."

Emma laughed and spit into the sink. She reached for the mouthwash, "I like how you said intuitive instead of smart. Real smooth M&M."

"We all know he's not the brightest, but he's thoughtful. I think he could be the one."

She rolled her eyes as she gargled. She knew Mary Margaret was right, those two were indeed made for each other, but she never was one for the whole soulmate thing. It always seemed childish, well except for one time when- Nope! She refused to think about that time in her life. She had all but forgotten about it, but it did come up every now and then. She spit out the liquid and rinsed her mouth.

"I'm happy for you, really," she tried to say through a smile.

Mary Margaret laughed, "Sure you are. I know how you feel about this love thing, but I appreciate you trying Emma. You know he thinks highly of you. He's got a friend he'd like to set you up with. Would you consider-"

"Let me stop you right there M&M. I don't do relationships. So I will save me and that poor unfortunate soul of a friend the embarrassment of a double date."

The brunette pouted, "Emma we've known each other what? Almost 7 years? You've been in this city almost 9? I'm about to graduate with my masters. We're getting old, I won't always be here as your kind and loving roommate. I will have to move out one day."

She grabbed for a bar of deodorant and smelled her pits and shrugged, "And when that day happens. I will mourn the loss of the greatest roommate I've ever had, but until then."