10

"You're free to go Swan."

Emma walked out of the juvenile detention center and right into the cold debilitating arms of her social worker, after 8 months inside. Mr. Gold had been her social worker since she was transferred to the Brooklyn area. He wasn't the best she ever had, but he also wasn't the worse. He was one of those people who did it for a paycheck, and nothing more. He was notorious for making deals tho. The reason Emma got to stay in Brooklyn so long was because Regina, Kathryn, and Victoria asked their parents to make deals with Mr. Gold. She never knew what was bargained for her, but she knew the only things that interested Mr. Gold was money and blood and sometimes blood money.

"Which one traded with you this time? The Mills, The Aurums, or The Belfreys?" she asked as she got into the back of his car.

"I'm sorry dearie. I don't know what you're talking about."

He always denied it at first. He had to, it was illegal after all. He got into the drivers seat and closed the door. The first thing he always did after he started the car was put on the music, so he could talk with Emma about the arrangements that had been made when moving her to a new Brooklyn temp home that had been found by illegal means. But this time he didn't turn on the radio, and Emma knew something had changed. The trash bag of her things was in the back seat with her, so she was going to a new place today, but what was going to change?

"Where are we going Gold?"

He sighed, "Emma, you're getting a new social worker."

Her eyes widened, if she was getting a new social worker it meant either she was leaving the area or he was (and it wasn't the latter).

"So none of them came to help this time," she said quietly as she looked out the window accepting her situation, "Where am I going?"

Gold turned on the radio, "We haven't really been on the best of terms Emma. We both know neither of us really cares for the other but even I have morals."

"Get to the point."

"The answer is no. No one came and offered me a deal this time. You're being moved to Boston. You weren't tried as an adult but no group home or foster family has agreed to take you in, so you'll be staying at a halfway house for women out on parole."

"But I'm not an adult..."

"No, but you turn 18 in 4 months. They basically just rounded you up. You'll have to answer to both a social worker and a parole officer until your birthday. The social worker is above your parole officer so you listen to her first. If you want my advice just lay low. Stay out of trouble until your old enough to leave. When that day comes most everything on record that you've ever done will be erased, except the drug charges..."

A single tear, she didn't even know had emerged, ran down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, "Why are you telling me this."

He shrugged, "Like I said, I have some morals. Your drug charges happened too close to your 18th birthday for it to be covered up, but you are in luck.

"Luck. What luck?" she scoffed.

"You've got one of the better social workers this time. Her name is Ingrid, she's like the Mother Theresa of social workers. She'll help you more than I ever could or wanted to."

"Whatever. In 4 months I'll be gone anyway..."

It was silent for a while. She watched the outside change from city to forest and then nothing. She must've fallen asleep. The next thing she remembered was waking up as Gold parked the car in front of a diner. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and stretched.

"What are we doing here?"

"Like I said, your social workers a good one. She wanted to welcome you to Boston with a hot meal."

They both exited the car and we're met with a smiling blonde woman at the entrance of the diner, "Hi. Thank you for meeting me here Mr. Gold, " she said as she stuck out her hand for him to shake.

He gave a small awkward smile before he weakly shook her hand. She reverted her attention to the teen, "You must be Emma. I'm Ingrid. Ingrid Fisher. It's a pleasure to meet you."

She stuck her hand out, just as she did with Gold, but Emma didn't shake it. She looked to the ground. Ingrid smiled awkwardly and retracted her hand, "Please. Let's go in and eat before I take you to your new home. Mr. Gold you're welcome to join us if you'd like."

"No thank you," he declined, "I have to get home to my wife and kids, but here are her files," he said as he opened the trunk and grabbed a box full of paperwork.

"Is that it?" Ingrid joked.

He reached in the back for another box, "Nope. Should we put these in your car before you have dinner with Emma here?"

She nodded as the two headed to her car. Emma briefly considered running while they were both occupied, but then remember what Gold said, If you want my advice just lay low. Stay out of trouble until your old enough to leave... And he was right. If she had any chance of living a normal life, with a clean slate after she turned 18 she needed to stay out of trouble.