5

It had been about 2 weeks since Emma had last seen Regina. She hadn't attempted to come back to her apartment and Emma was both relieved and disappointed. She was relieved to have had the time to wrap her mind around the fact that Regina Mills had really made her way back into her life, but then again she knew if Regina had kept prodding into her life she would've eventually let her in. And she wish she did because after seeing her face, she realized she missed her, but she shouldn't not after what she did to her.

"Swan. Swan! Snap out of it. I need these tickets sorted in chronological order," her boss spewed as he dropped a box of tickets on her desk.

She rolled her eyes, "Killian I've been on desk duty for nearly a week. I know I know I complained about being a meter maid but it's much better than this."

He rubbed his furrowed eyebrows, "Look Emma. You ticketed the mayors car yesterday after he was parked in his spot. Weaver got his head chewed off so I got my head chewed off and since the head of parking & traffic is out sick I have to be here to monitor you all. Me?! Deputy to the sheriff of the Denver Police Department. This is way below my pay grade."

"It was one mistake, Jesus."

"A mistake that unleashed the wrath of Denver upon this police department. You chose this career, figure out ways to better yourself and maybe you can move from parking enforcement to actual police work," he stormed off as he slammed his hand against the wall.

Emma groaned and rubbed her temples, it was gonna be a long week. By the end of the work day she was exhausted from doing nothing but sorting small pieces of paper. It made her feel lazy, but perhaps the exhaustion was more from stress than anything else.

"Well, well, well looks like someone had a bad day," Ruby said leaning against Emma's desk.

"What's up Ruby," Emma replied with a smirk and a laugh.

"Nothing much, you off yet?"

She nodded her head, "Yeah, just about to clock out actually."

"Great," the brunette beamed, "Mary Margaret and I want to go out on a girls night."

"I don't know Rubes. I just had the most uneventful yet emotionally draining day. I really just wanna go to bed."

Ruby followed the blonde as she clocked out and rolled her eyes, "Come on. We all need a break, and besides you know you love a good cocktail."

She sighed, "I do, but it's real crazy here in the office."

Ruby grabbed Emma's hand and squeezed it reassuringly, "Want me to talk to Graham? I'm sure he'll tell his subordinates to take it easy on you if I ask."

With the shake of her head Emma dismissed the idea, "Sheriff Humbert doesn't need to be bothered with something so trivial."

"Fine, but come on. I'll even pay if you come out tonight."

With a side smirk Emma turned to Ruby, "You make a compelling argument. Alright fine, I'll meet you at Club Vinyl at 9?"

She nodded, "Whatcha gonna do til then?"

She fished in her pocket for her wallet and pulled out the paper Regina gave her weeks earlier, "I need to meet someone and go over some work things," she lied.

Ruby raised her eyebrow to question the blonde, "I know you're lying because they don't send the meter maid on post work assignments but whatever it is you clearly feel it is important enough to lie to your best friend about but I'll leave it. See you later Emma."

Emma nodded and gave Ruby a small smile and wave as she left. Shortly after she gathered her things and cleared her work area before she clocked out and left the building. She pulled out her phone and dialed the number on the paper, as she walked over to her car. As she unlocked her bug and sat inside, her finger hovered over the call button hesitantly. She wasn't sure if she was ready to face Regina again, but it was gonna happen eventually so why not today?

She hit the call button and it rang for a bit, a lot longer than comfortable, and for a moment Emma thought she wasn't gonna answer. But then, as if her uneasiness could be sensed from the brunette from miles away, she answered.

"Hello," Regina answered sounding almost relieved, "Sorry by the way. Whoever you are. My son hid my phone and then I couldn't find it-"

"Hi..." she interrupted cautiously.

"Emma," she said not as a question, but as a fact. She didn't need to ask who it was to know that it was Emma. She always knew Emma.

Emma could practically see the smile plastered over Regina's face; she always used to greet her with that smile when they were younger. That smile used to make her feel safe, but no matter what that smile made her feel now, she couldn't help but give a small smile back, "How are you doing Regina?"

"Can't complain," she answered, "I'm glad you called."

"You left an impression, you always do Regina."

Regina chuckled and gave a low sigh, "I've missed you Em. Can we talk?"

"That's what we're doing now, aren't we?"

Emma could hear the roll of Regina's eyes, "In person Emma. Please."

"Fine, but only on my conditions."

"Deal."

"Meet me in 30 minutes at Thatcher Fountain in City Park. Once there we can speak, I decide when it's time to end the conversation."

"Oh you want to do this today?"

She raised her eyebrow, "Is that a problem?"

"It's just that-you know what. Never mind, I'll be there. See you soon Em."

"See ya soon Gina," she said right before she hung up. The phrase rolled off her tongue with ease, just as it did all those years ago when she said it everyday back when she saw Regina Mills on the daily. She lightly ran her fingers over her lips before she snapped herself out of it and started her car.