6

“We’re almost there Gina,” Emma said with a warm smile as she held her girlfriends hand to lead her through the foliage.

“Em, dear, what are we doing here?” Regina giggled as she swatted branches away from her face, “I’m worried I forgot something important, considering you dragged me all the way out to Manhattan. It’s not our anniversary and it’s not either of our birthdays, so I’m really confused.”

The blonde smirked, “It’s cute to see you worrying like this.”

Regina pouted, “Emmaaaaa.”

She quickly placed a kiss on Regina’s lips to shut her up, “Relax Gina. I got you,” she said as they separated.

She smirked at Emma’s boldness, “Fine, Swan. I’ll be patient.”

A mischievous grin spread across the younger girls face as she indulged herself in another kiss, “You know when anyone else calls me Swan it’s bearable, borderline annoying, but with you… You make it sexy, ” she said as she pulled Regina in close to her, “I like it.”

“Oh yeah?” she responded with a giggle as she snaked her arms around Emma’s shoulders, “Well Swaaannn,” she teased, “Lets get whatever you have planned over with and I can show you just how sexy anything that comes out of my mouth can be?”

“As tempting as that offer is,” she replied while she bit her lower lip, “I definitely worked too hard on all this food to just abandon it, even IF I’d rather be eating something else, ” she said as she pushed aside some bushes revealing a view of one of Manhattans most loved parks (Inwood Hill Park).

Laid before her was a large blanket held down with a cooler, picnic basket, and a boombox. The slight breeze in the air had blown the one corner of the blanket, not weighed down, in on itself. Regina didn’t notice, because nothing seemed out of line to her. Everything was perfect.

“Emma,” she scoffed, “What is this?” she asked as she covered her mouth in delight and approached the picnic.

She followed the older girl as she watched her every action, she hoped she wasn’t disappointed.

“Do you like it?”

“Em I love it,” she said reaching for hand, “But what’s the occasion?”

Emma smiled and lead them to the center of the blanket where they sat down.

“7 year’s ago I was placed into my 10th temporary home/ 4th foster family. And I had just transferred into my 5th school and I thought life was unbearable. On this day, seven years ago, just when I thought life couldn’t get any worse, a snitching brunette entered my life, ” she started.

Regina’s eyes narrowed and her mouth pursed. She crossed her arms, almost daring Emma to finish the statement. The blonde laughed before she continued, “And that snitching brunette ended up making my life all the better. She became my first friend, in fact she’s my very best friend. She introduced me to the only other group of friends I’ve ever known. I have grown to love and care for the girl like no one ever before. She’s been my girlfriend for the last year and a half and I hope many more to come.”

Emma paused to notice Regina blushing, she smiled and took one of her hands in hers, “Regina I brought you here to celebrate the day we met. I’ve always celebrated this day on my own because I didn’t know if you felt the same way about meeting me. But even if you don’t, I’ve realized I want to share everything with you, not just the good, but also the bad, and the cheesy pathetic stuff. So would you like to celebrate the day of us with me from now on?”

The older girl grabbed Emma’s face and planted a sloppy kiss on her lips, “You’re absolutely adorable you know that?”

Emma nodded and laughed as she placed her hands on top of Reginas to pull them away from her face and bring em to her lips, “Yeah, I know.”

The principals daughter reached for the basket and handed it to Emma, “Why don’t you show me what you made for us dear.”

Emma took the basket with a smile, while Regina pulled her legs in close to her chest and admired her girlfriend.

“Actually I think it’s better if we start out with drinks and some music, ” Emma said as she pressed play on the boombox and reached for the cooler.

Regina listened to the melody and rhythm of the song as Emma poured something into a plastic wine glasses.

“Is this- is this End of the Road by Boyz II Men? I haven’t heard this song in years,” she stated when the blonde handed her her drink, which she took a sip of immediately, “And is this my favorite Apple Cider? How did you even get it?”

She started to empty the basket onto the blanket, “Yes, yes, and your father,” Emma answered.

Regina cocked her head, indicating she wanted more details. This caused her girlfriend to laugh, “Maybe you didn’t know this but the #1 song in the country, on the day that we met, was End of the Road. Ironic isn’t it, you know cuz some people might say it’s unnatural, how much you belong to me, and I belong to you.”

A huge grin spread across Reginas face before she laughed, “You did not just do that.”

“You love it,” she teased as she took a sip of cider, “And you love me.”

“That I do,” she responded as she proceeded to lay on her stomach and propped her chin in the palm of one of her hands while she crossed her ankles, “Tell me, how did you get a bottle of my family’s cider? Strictly reserved for special occasions.”

“I asked your dad. He seems to agree that the day of us is one of the most special of special occasions,” she said as she raised her glass, “So here’s to us Gina.”

“To us,” Regina added as she too raised her glass.