15

The next morning Emma woke up with a splitting headache.

Mary Margaret tiptoed in with a smirk on her face and bottle of water & some Advil, "Called it."

She groaned in response, "How do you always seem so perky the day after?"

She shrugged and handed over the water & pills, "It hurts, but I was taught to push through it. The Blanchards can prosper through just about anything. I'm sure if someone was out to kill me I'd keep a level head."

"I believe it," she replied as she chugged down the water and pills, "Oh God Regina was here last night."

Her roommate confirmed with the nod of her head and a sip of her coffee, "It seemed that I might have interrupted something."

She sat up, "And I'm glad you did."

"Didn't seem like you were too glad last night."

"I was drunk. Regina had just told me she never gave up on me. I was happy and I kinda just wanted everything to go back to as if we were still together and if we were we'd be in the bedroom way more than you and David," she started.

"Gross."

The blonde laughed, "Even though I wanted to, I can't start our relationship like that. We've missed so much of each others lives, so we should probably just hold on on things. She might not even like me like that anymore."

"Oh she likes you. I could tell."

Emma gave her a look of curiosity.

"What? You're not the only one who remembers after a night out on the town. Plus I didn't drink nearly as much, so I never had the chance to get the clouded memory."

She smirked, "So is that the real reason you took your hangover so well?"

"Ya got me," she admitted, "But she clearly still has feelings for you."

"You think?"

"Totally. Her eyes were totally screaming love whenever they looked at you. Honestly reminds me of David whenever I catch him staring. It's cute."

Emma blushed, "Still, even if she did-"

"Which she does."

She laughed, "I'd still want to slow it down. We've both changed, and I am sure she is not the same girl I knew all those years just as I'm sure I've changed too."

"You couldn't have changed that much."

"Oh M&M, the Emma you know now is much different than the one Regina grew up with."

Figaro pounced onto Emma's lap and curled up to take a nap.

"Dude get your cat man."

"dUdE," she mimicked, "He loves you. Why can't you just love him back?"

"He's alright," the blonde conceded as she pet the cat, "I still wish you would've gotten a dog."

"Dogs are lots of time and energy that I just don't have," she replied with the roll of her eyes, "Cats. They more or less look after themselves, and they snuggle with you from time to time."

Figaro meowed in response as he sauntered over to his owner.

"Aww, I love you too bubba boy," Mary Margaret said as she gave him a good scratch behind the ears.

He purred in response and circled her lap until he felt comfortable enough to lay down.

"Well I'd love to formally meet this Regina. Preferably when neither of us is inebriated."

Emma laughed as she got up to get ready for work, "I don't know if that'll be anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind."

"You know maybe you could take the day off and go see your lady friend."

"She's gotta be busy. She mentioned she had an assistant, that usually means busy right?" She questioned.

Mary Margaret shrugged, "Maybe. Or maybe just a rich single mom."

"Well she has always been well off. You think it's a good idea?"

"Man I don't know. I just want to see this relationship pop off. You've been alone this entire time, save Ruby and your sexcapades, but I am 110% invested now. Ohhhh, maybe you could surprise her! That'd be so cute!"

"God Mary Margaret, you sound like a giddy school girl," The blonde joked.

"What? Here I'll even help you. What's her last name?" she offered as she pulled out her phone.

Emma rolled her eyes but decided to play along, "Mills. Regina Elizabeth Mills." The words rolled smoothly off her tongue.

"Regina. Elizabeth. Mills," the student articulated as she typed the name into google.

Emma took the chance to go to the bathroom and do her morning rituals when she heard a gasp from their room.

"What ya got M&M," she said as she brushed her teeth.

She began to read the results from her phone, "Regina Elizabeth Mills. Works for the city of Denver Parks and Recreation department. Coming from a wealthy family, Mills was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. Although not confirmed, it is believed Mills checked herself into a psychiatric hospital before attending Columbia University. Upon graduating, Mills interned for the Secretary of State but promptly quit to run for congress on her 25th birthday. A year later she was engaged, and dropped out of the race to be with her family. Her husband found an untimely death, leaving Mills with his now 6 year old son. Mills has kept to herself since the death, but is again believed to have checked herself into a psychiatric hospital immediately after news of her husbands death it. The Mills family now resides in Denver, Colorado."

Emma walked out of the bathroom just as she had cleaned her face, "She ran for congress? I had no idea she was even interested in politics. Growing up she wanted to be a vet."

"Her story is kind of sad. Psychiatric hospital twice. Dead husband. Single mom. Life of solitude," she pouted, "Looks like she could really use some company," she teased.

She rolled her eyes, "That's what you got Fromm all of that? She needs company? If anything it seems she needs space."

Mary Margaret sank back into the comfort of her mattress as she clutched her pillow against her chest, "Oh but Emma, when you're feeling down in the dumps don't you just want to be held and told that everything's gonna be alright? To have someone there to comfort you is one of the greatest pleasures of life."

She shrugged as she pulled on some socks, "Maybe if I had it when I was a kid, but the only person who did that for me was Regina, but I didn't meet her til I was like 9. But I imagine it's a nice feeling. I try not to seem to bummed around you and Ruby because I know you'd try to comfort me like that. But I am grateful you guys take the time to smoke with me."

"See! You do enjoy company when you're sad! I mean it's not being held or anything but it's having a little smoke sesh with your gal pals. Oh my god Emma just go to the congress lady and make her sad life happy again. I'm such a sucker for happy endings."

She chuckled and rolled her eyes once again, "Gotta get out of this fairytale mindset M&M. I gotta get going to work tho. Tell your Prince Charming I said hi."

She rushed out the room only to hear Mary Margaret calling after her.

"You don't even know of I'm going to see him today!"

"You are so going to see him today," she yelled back as she shut the door to the apartment.