Twelve

*
*
*
|
|
|

"I'm starting to question whether this potion is even worth it" Azalea sighed as she chopped ingredients carefully

"I'm starting to question whether this potion is even worth it" Azalea sighed as she chopped ingredients carefully. Beyond the castle walls, the sky had been plagued with night. "Harry doesn't seem to want much to do with me these days anyway" Snape shot her a raised eyebrow from the other side of the cauldron as he worked.

"Yes, well. The Potter boy is just like his father in that regard. Completely stubborn. Doesn't realise how precious what he has is until it is gone." He shook his head, beady eyes glinting as he chopped the ingredients. "Do not weaken Azalea, do not give in to his tantrum. He is the one that must apologise. He is the one that does not respect you." The man nodded along.

"I doubt that somehow" she sighed and he stared up at her. "He is angry because I have been spending time with Draco."

"Orders from Albus?"

"Yes"

"Albus tends to give us difficult tasks. For example.... the task he gave me has made me feared and hated. But I persevere. Because it is ultimately for the greater good." He informed her. "You, Albus and I are the only ones who genuinely know that I am not evil. Think about what you are doing this for Azalea. You're doing this to save the world. You're doing this for Harry Potter. Even if he cannot see that." Severus Snape informed her, voice gentle and she smiled softly at him. "We do strange and peculiar things for the ones we love"

As Severus stirred the cauldron, Azalea softly slumped to sit on one of the stools.

"I've been feeling so human recently. And it's so bizarre because I never felt inhuman, I always felt normal, like everyone else. But recently, I've come to notice that I'm not normal Severus, I'm not human. I'm just a spell and this sense of self understanding makes me feel human. My mind is scrambled." She sighed.

"I understand Azalea. There was a time when I'd have done anything for love. I do now, even though she is gone." He sighed, stirring the contents.

"Was she worth it? Worth all the pain and hardship? Is love worth it." She questioned. "Love is something I didn't even think I could feel and now it's running my life!"

"It may not seem worth it to you now, or to others. But it is. I may not like Potter but if you love him, it is absolutely worth every single thing you do for him. Because if you lose that love, if you lose him. You will be ruined" he informed. "Let him hate you, as long as it keeps him safe."

"My task gets more and more complicated every day. There's more and more that needs doing."

"It's worth it" he promised and she smiled softly.

"Lily must've been something special, to be worthy of all your love."

"Lily was everything. She was all that was good in the world." He demanded, his eyes brightening at just the mention of her before he became solemn once more.

The remainder of their session was spent in silence and finally, at just past midnight, Azalea walked back to the Gryffindor common room slowly, taking in all the pictures on the walls. Nobody would tell her off now, for being out at night and so she took her time. Swinging the door of the common room open- disgruntling the sleeping fat lady in the process- she came face to face with Harry Potter who sat waiting by the fire.

The Boy-Who-Lived sat staring at the flames and he no-doubt heard her enter but he did not turn to face her. From the way his jaw was set, she knew he was angry.

"Lea. I don't know what has happened. Less than a month ago, we promised one another at the Burrow that we had something special. That this love was worth fighting for, even if we are young. And now... now I just feel completely betrayed. You're always busy, meeting up with Dumbledore or Snape, doing potions or teaching spells" he listed. "And the times when you are free, you're off spending time with Malfoy! Someone who, even if I am wrong about being a death eater, has death eaters for parents. Or did it completely go over your head that Death Eaters want to kill me?" He fumed.

"I understand your anger Harry. But I'm trying to carry out my purpose."

"You're not a robot Azalea!"

"A—-A robot?" She blinked, shaking her head in confusion and he ran a hand over his face bitterly.

"Yeah, but you don't know what that is. Because you're from a different time!" He cursed. "Maybe there is a reason why you weren't programmed for love. Maybe you aren't human" he mused and she blinked in horror at him, doe eyes watering.

"What?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry Azalea. I'm sorry. We're both tired, it's late. Let's just... go to bed and talk about this in the morning" he sighed. "I love you" she nodded and watched him walk away slowly though his words played on repeat in her head as she pulled herself to sit in one of the leather armchairs, staring deeply into the flames. Azalea had travelled centuries in time for these people, yet she felt more alone than ever and she didn't know what to do to help herself feel better.

Azalea had never felt that pain before. The pain that remained in her heart, that made her throat thick. She was unfamiliar with the tears that rolled down her pretty cheeks, tears she could not stifle and sobs that ached her body.