Thirty Two

*
           *
*
|
|
|

Azalea Gryffindor Hufflepuff Ravenclaw Slytherin roamed the halls of Hogwarts at midnight

Azalea Gryffindor Hufflepuff Ravenclaw Slytherin roamed the halls of Hogwarts at midnight. Something was going to happen, she was absolutely certain of that fact and she strode along slowly, her heart slightly calmed by the fact that she knew Harry was safe, safe with Dumbledore. It did not matter that they were gone, hunting Horcruxes which was perhaps a very dangerous task. She knew that Dumbledore would protect Harry until his dying day. 

With every second that passed, Azaleas body became more and more on edge, the time was fast approaching, she knew that much. She just did not yet know what would come from the danger. Her wand tip illuminated the darkened corridors, disgruntling the sleeping portraits but when they saw the holder of the wand, they would smile and wave of sigh and go back to sleep. Azalea was treasured in the castle and it was something she never thought she would feel.

After hours of wandering, she finally crossed paths with a source of life. In the shadows, came a familiar form and her doe eyes frowned as she assessed it, quickly stalking over to them. Standing like a forest animal in headlights, the blue glow finally fell upon his face and Azalea sighed as she saw the shocked grey eyes of Draco Malfoy in the darkness.

"Zalie" he coughed uncomfortably and she instantly knew that he was not supposed to be there. She knew instantly that he was up to no good and that they had failed in their mission to save him... At least, initially. 

"Draco? What are you doing here?" she dropped the wand slightly, the glow moving so as to not blind him any longer. "Tell me the truth Draco, it is not too late to save you," she stated, her calm doe eyes were warm, gentle. "I can help you." she took his hand softly and he shuddered as if he would cry if he could. 

"It's too late Azalea" he sobbed once. "I'm sorry, he chose me. I didn't have a choice. I don't want to die" his voice was lined with months worth of stress and Azalea blinked softly at him, she couldn't blame him for this because Azalea saw a lot of herself in Draco. Azalea had been groomed by her parents to become a killer, Draco was no different, he just happened to fall on the other side. In different times, they could have been friends, close friends. But regardless, Azalea wasn't prepared to give up on him just yet. 

"Tell me, Draco. Tell me everything." she pled. 

"We don't have much time" he stressed and Azalea looked around the dark and desolate corridor before pulling him along toward a portrait. The old man in the frame smiled and suddenly swung open, revealing a room that Draco had never before seen. Though, there was no time to pay attention to that small aspect now. Draco didn't want to be the bad guy, the killer, he had never wanted that from life... But it was the life he had been given. "They want me to meet them in the astronomy tower, I'm supposed to be there."

"Them who?" Azalea questioned quickly, her voice never shifting from that state of calm. The room they were in was small and empty but well lit and Draco blinked in the harshness of it, bags hanging below his eyes from stress and lack of sleep.

"Death Eaters, I let them in using a vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement" he relented quickly. Azalea was the first person in a long time that Draco Malfoy knew he could trust, no matter what. She had a large capacity for forgiveness. 

"Draco, it is important that you listen to me now and listen good. You will go to the astronomy tower, tell them that you got caught by Flich and had to slip away. They won't be too surprised by that. When Dumbledore returns... I know the orders that you have." her voice shook slightly because she knew that the time had arrived for their goodbye to be carried through with. "What you must do is hold on for a little while. Albus will try and talk you around, for a moment, let him. I will handle everything Draco. You're going to be a Death Eater for a while, you'll be fighting from the wrong side but you are not the only one and when this is all over... I swear that I will save you. You're going to be okay Draco, I promise you." she informed him, her hands taking his cheeks softly, steadily as he spoke with intensity.

"When Harry spelled me, and I was dying in that bathroom... I wanted for it all to end Azalea, I wanted to die" he informed her in return. "And then I saw your face, your beautiful face and you were like an angel... You made me want to live. And I will do this for you Lea, I will repay you for everything because in another life... You could have been mine." he informed softly, taking her hands. "I know that this isn't possible, that you are with Potter. But that doesn't stop a boy from dreaming. I owe you this much... Just, promise me... Promise me that you will save me from all of this."

"I promise" she spoke intently. "You have my word Draco. I am sorry that we could not have been what you wanted." Azalea glanced down softly. 

"It's okay Lea, because having you in my life is enough." he stated calmly, relaxed from her words and ready to do what he must. 

"Be strong tonight Draco" she informed softly, pressing a kiss to his cheek and vanishing from the small room, allowing him to compose himself before he did what he must.