Chapter 10

We walked into their school,
Scotty said" This is gonna be impossible, you know."
Stiles said" Why don't you just ask her if you can borrow it?"
" How?"
" It's easy. You just say, Hey, Allison, can I borrow your necklace to see if there's anything on it or in it that can lead me to an alpha werewolf that I need to kill in order to get back together with you."
" You're not helping."
" Why don't you just talk to her."
" She won't talk to me. What if she like only takes it off in the shower or something?"
" That's why you ease... that's why you ease back into it, okay? Get back on her good side, remind her of the good times. And then you ask for the necklace. You're thinking about her in the shower, aren't you?"
" Yeah."
" All right, stay focused, okay? Get the necklace, get the alpha, get cured, get Allison back. In that order. Got it?" He lifted me up and we walked away from Scotty.
I said" You went on a car chase."
" It was too dangerous, I've apologized like 300 times already, okay? I'm sorry, bub."
" You left me alone!"
" I'm sorry, you were asleep, I didn't know you'd wake up before I got back."
" Meanie."
" Yeah, I know." I laid my head on his shoulder, pouting," Will apology candy make it better?" He held up candy, I smiled, taking the bag of candy.
" Okay, Nice again!"
" Thanks!" He kissed my head, sighing," Finally."
——
Stiles said" How the hell did he find out?" Jackson knows about Scotty, what he is,
Scott said" I have no idea."
" Did he say it out loud, the word?"
" What word?"
" Werewolf. Did he say, I know you're a werewolf?"
" No, but he implied it pretty freaking clearly."
" Okay, maybe it's not as bad as it seems. I mean, he doesn't have any proof, right? And if he wanted to tell someone, who's gonna believe him anyway?"
" How about Allison's father?" I whimpered,
" Okay, it's bad."
" I need a cure. Right now."
" Does he know about Allison's father?"
" I don't know."
" Okay, where's Derek?"
" Hiding, like we told him to, why?"
" I have another idea. It's gonna take a little time and finesse, though."
" We have that game tonight. It's quarterfinals. And it's your first game."
" I know, I know. Look, do you have a plan for Allison yet?"
" She's in my next class."
" Get the necklace." We walked away again, I looked at Stiles, tilting my head," Yeah, Riley?"
I said" Is Scotty in trouble?"
" Uh... no, no, because I've got a plan."
" Okay."
——
We were at lunch, we walked to Scott,
Stiles said" Did you get her to give you the necklace?"
Scott said" Not exactly."
" Ah. What happened?"
" She told me not to talk to her. At all."
" So she's not giving you..."
" She's not giving me the necklace!" Stiles handed me a piece of chicken, I began eating,
" Well, did you find anything else out?"
" Just that I know nothing about girls, and that they're totally psychotic."
" Okay, I came up with a plan B just in case anything like this happened."
" What's plan B?"
" Just steal the stupid thing."
" Couldn't we try at least getting to Harris?"
" My dad put him under a 24-hour protective detail, okay? The necklace is all we got. Steal it. Thank you." I saw Jackson staring at Scott,
" Stiles, he's watching us. Act normal." I whimpered as Jackson bit into an apple, I dug my face into Stiles' chest,
I heard Jackson say" Scott... can you hear me? You can, can't you?"
Stiles said" What's wrong?"
Scott said" Jackson's talking to me. He knows I can hear him. Look at me. Just talk to me. Act normal. Pretend like nothing's happening."
Jackson said" Are you trying to pretend not to hear me?"
" Say anything. Talk to me!"
Stiles said" I can't think of anything. My mind's a complete blank."
" Your mind's blank? You can't think of something to say?"
" Not under this kind of pressure. FYI, he's not even sitting with them anymore."
" Where the hell is he?"
I heard Jackson say" Looking for me, McCall? I'm right here. So what else can you do? Huh? Can you see better? Are you stronger, more powerful? No, I knew there was no way you suddenly got that good at lacrosse. Which means you're actually a cheater, aren't you? I mean, can you even play lacrosse?"
" Yes."
" I'll bet my new co-captain's gonna score a bunch of shots tonight, aren't you? And while you're pretending you're not a lying cheat, I'm gonna ruin your life if you don't give me what I want. And you know what I'm gonna start with? Her. I'm gonna destroy any chance you have left with her." I squeezed my eyes shut, covering my ears, humming, Stiles started bouncing me on his leg.
Stiles said" Scott, come on. You can't let him have this kind of power over you. Okay?" Scott started shaking, gripping the tray, then he broke it, I whimpered.
——
Stiles carried me into his room and put me down, going to his computer, I saw Derek.
Daddy said" Hey, Stiles!"
Stiles said" Yo..." He turned and saw Derek," Derek." Derek pointed to the door," I, um..." Stiles ran to his door, to stop Daddy from coming into the room. I started playing with Tigger, sitting on Stiles' bed, once Stiles came back in, Derek pinned him to the door.
Derek said" If you say one word..."
" Oh, what, you mean, like, Hey dad, Derek Hale's in my room, bring your gun? Yeah, that's right. If I'm harboring your fugitive ass, it's my house, my rules, buddy." Derek let go of him, Derek stared at him," Oh, my god!"
" Scott didn't get the necklace?"
" No, he's still working on it. But there's something else we can try. The night we were trapped at the school, Scott sent a text to Allison asking her to meet him there."
" So?"
" So it wasn't Scott."
" Well, can you find out who sent it?"
" No, not me. But I think I know somebody who can."

Stiles got Danny over,
Danny said" You want me to do what?"
Stiles said" Trace a text."
" I came here to do lab work. That's what lab partners do."
" And we will, once you trace the text."
" And what makes you think I know how?"
" I... I looked up your arrest report, so..."
" I... I was thirteen. They dropped the charges."
" Whatever."
" No, we're doing lab work."
" Oh, my..."
" Who's he again?"
" Um, my cousin... Miguel."
" Is that blood on his shirt?"
" Yeah. Yes. Well, he gets these horrible nosebleeds. Hey, Miguel. I thought I told you you could borrow one of my shirts." I giggled, then ran to my room,

I walked back into the room, Danny did the tracing, Stiles is really good at getting what he wants.
Derek said" Registered to that account name?"
Stiles said" No, no, no, no. That can't be right." I looked at the screen, M-C-C-A-L-L.. McCall, that's Scott's name, M-E-L-I-S-S-A... Melissa, that's Scott's mommy, no way!
——
Stiles dropped me off at the field, I started walking to find Scotty, I yawned, rubbing my eyes, but they didn't turn yellow like normally.
Once I found Scott, I made grabby hands, he pulled me to him and sat me on his knee. Jackson walked up and sat down,
He said" It's the bite that does it, isn't it?"
Scott said" Yes."
" Well, then, it's easy."
" No, it's not. I can't be the one to do it, okay? It has to be... it has to be an alpha."
" Well, then, you get him to do it."
" I don't even know who he is. Okay, trust me, this whole thing is so much more complicated than you think. There's... There's others. There's hunters."
" Hunting what? What hunters?"
" Werewolf hunters."
" Oh, my god. You've got to be kidding me."
" No, jerkoff! There's a whole family of them, and they carry assault rifles. Do you get that? Assault rifles."
" Them?"
" What? No, no..."
" Oh, my god, that actually makes sense. Allison Argent. Oh, my god, you don't get it. You've known her this long, and you never actually asked her for... her name, idiot. Do you know what Argent means in french? It means silver."

Coach said" Now, this is what I like to see, rivals turned allies. You know there's no me in team, right, boys?"
Scott said" Yes, there is, Coach."
" Okay, smartass, how 'bout this... no A in econ is no win on field? Good? Huh? Perfect. Good." He walked away,
" So what are you gonna do?"
Jackson said" Well, I'm gonna give you a chance to give me what I want. What's three days, huh? Seventy-two hours. That's all you get, Scott. Seventy-two hours."
" What if I can't?"
" Oh, come on, mcCall. That's not a winning attitude." The Coach blew the whistle, I held onto Scott as he got up,
He said" Hey, just stay right here, okay? I'm just on the field." He walked onto the field, I gulped, then daddy showed up. Uh-oh, Stiles isn't here yet, where is he?!