Chapter 17

Doc said" They're coming back, so we don't have much time to talk."
Scott said" Uh, what is that?"
" Rubbing alcohol. You don't want it to get infected, do you? You'll heal the same, just not as quickly, because of Derek."
" Okay, how do you know all this? Actually, how do-how do you know anything?"
" It's a longer story. What I can tell you is that I know about your kind. Your kind... I can help. This-This is something different."
" Wha-well-do you know what did it?"
" No. But the Argents will. And this is the crucial part. They'll have some kind of record, or book. It'll have descriptions, histories, notations of all the things they've discovered."
" Wha-All the things? How many different things are there?" I heard tires, Scott lifted me up and we hid in another room. Scott covered my ears, I dug my face into his side, I squeezed my eyes shut.
——
Stiles was running between Allison and Scotty, I pulled at Scott's hoodie, bored and I wanted to play.
Stiles said" I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying. We'll get through this. Uh... I know, because I love you. I love you more than- Oh, my god! I can't- You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate."
Scott said" Come on. You're the only one that we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?"
" Yes, okay? Message complete. All right, now tell me about your boss."
" Uh, he thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, records of all the things that they've hunted. Like a book."
" He probably means a bestiary."
" What?"
" A bestiary."
" I think you mean bestiality."
" Nope, pretty sure I don't. It's like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."
" How am I the only one that doesn't seem to know anything about this stuff?"
" Okay, you know, you're my best friend, you're a creature of the night, it's kind of like a priority of mine."
" Okay. If we can find it, and it can tell us what this thing is-"
" And who."
They both said" We need that book." I laughed, they looked at each other, Stiles stood up, grabbing my arm and pulling me off Scott.
I said" Stiles, play."
Stiles said" Play later, okay?"
" Play now." Scott lifted me up, holding me upside down," Yay." Stiles ran to tell Allison,
Stiles ran up again,
He said" Yes... seen her grandfather with a book like that." I tugged at Scott's arm, as he talked to Stiles, then Stiles ran off again.
Stiles came back, Scott closed his locker,
Stiles said" She says... it has to be... office. Ahh. Ahg." He talked to Scott again, while I pulled at Scott's hoodie with my teeth. Stiles ran away again,
I said" Stiles gonna pass out?"
Scott laughed" Maybe, there's like a half chance he does." He lifted me up, holding me on his lip," Hey, Riley." I giggled, rubbing our noses together, he smiled at me.
——
I was chewing on a laffy taffy,
Coach said" Come on! Is that thing even a teenager? I wanna see a birth certificate!" He sat next to Stiles, after looking at the player," Who or what is that genetic experiment gone wrong?"
Stiles said" Eddie Obomowitz, Coach. They call me the Abomination."
" Oh, that's cute." Allison got the keys, I tugged Stiles' hand,
I said" Ready."
He said" Stay right here, don't leave Scott's view." He kissed my head then got up, grabbing the keys from Allison and walking away.

I didn't listen till I heard Coach,
He said" Where's Stilinski? Where's Stilinski?!" He looked into the benches," You! You!" I turned my head and saw Boyd, I gulped," You play lacrosse?" Boyd stood up, I looked at the field again, finding Scott easy.
Boyd took down the abomination, everyone cheered, I looked for Scotty, gulping. The game reset, then Scott scored, but a player slammed into him, he fell, I heard his leg snap. I ran to him, before I could get really fast, Allison grabbed my hand. We ran to Scotty,
Alison said" Oh, my god."
Scott said" I'm fine, I'm healing. It's okay. The book."
" It's not in his office. It's gotta be at the house. Scott, your leg. Oh, My god, your leg is broken."
" Not for long."
Coach said" Don't move."
Melissa said" Scott." Scotty stood up, Allison helped him,
Scott said" It's okay, it's okay. I'm fine, I'm fine."
" I could have sworn I literally heard bone breaking from where I sat."
Coach said" Heard it? I felt it."
Scott said" Seriously, guys, I'm fine." Allison walked back to her grandpa,
She said" We should go."
He said" Hold on" I held onto Scott's jersey," I wanna ask him one more thing."

Scott said" Okay, I can't leave you here with no one to watch you, I have no idea where Stiles is and you're a four year old."
I said" Scary."
" I'm there to protect you, okay? And Allison would never let anyone hurt you, she loves you more than she loves you." I giggled," See? All good, and you can sit in my lap."
" Wha-if he knows?"
" I'll protect you, Riley, okay? You know that, right?"
" Yeah."
" Then it's all gonna be fine."
" Where Stiles?"
" I have no idea, we just... get through this and we'll find him." I yawned, he sighed," And anyways, you're gonna fall asleep soon, you've been climbing the walls all day." He lifted me up into his arms," Just take a nap, and next thing you know, you'll be back with Stiles."
" W'kay, Scotty." I laid my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes, falling asleep.

Scott got me out of his car, I just woke up,
He said" Stiles, where are you? I need Gerard's keys. There's a USB drive on it. That's the bestiary." He grabbed my arm, pulling me up onto his hip, then ran.
We got inside the school, and to the office, I didn't see Stiles, I started whimpering. Then I heard something scream, I looked at Scott, he started running. We got to the pool, Scott put me down then pulled Derek and Stiles out of the water. He roared, I sat next to Stiles, Scott started fighting a scary thing. He was thrown into a mirror, I crouched to the ground, he grabbed a piece of mirror, the monster looked at it then ran away. Stiles sat up, Scott looked at them, I nuzzled my face into Stiles' neck.
They were looking at the book,
Stiles said" Is that even a language?"
Scott said" How are we supposed to figure out what this thing is?"
Derek said" It's called the kanima."
Stiles said" You knew the whole time."
" No. Only when it was confused by its own reflection."
Scott said" It doesn't know what it is."
" Or who."
Stiles said" What else do you know?"
" Just stories. Rumors."
Scott said" But it's like us?"
" A shapeshifter, yes. But, it's-it's not right. It's like a..."
Stiles said" Abomination." Derek and Erica turned around,
Scott said" Derek. We need to work together on this. Maybe even tell the argents."
Derek said" You'd trust them?"
" Nobody trusts anyone. That's the problem. While we're here arguing about who's on what side, there's something scarier, stronger, and faster than any of us, and it's killing people! And we still don't even know anything about it!"
" I know one thing. When I find it..." They walked away," I'm gonna kill it."

Stiles carried me up to bed, he dropped me, I rolled around and dug under the sheets.
He said" Dude, how many times have I told you not to keep opened food in your room?" I shrugged," Okay, get some sleep, okay?" He started picking up the food I saved,
I said" No, keep."
" No, candy goes downstairs, along... with half a hotdog... of course, okay, nope, nope, this is going in the trash."
" Saving it for later!"
" Bubby, it was under your toys, there's no way it's still edible."
" What ebible?"
" Able to be eaten."
" Make me more?"
" Yeah, I'll make you a hotdog for breakfast."
" Yay!"
" As long as you go to sleep."
" Okay!" I smiled at him, he kissed my head,
" Sleep tight, don't let the zombie bugs bite." He tucked me in, I yawned, closing my eyes, falling asleep.