Chapter 24

I was playing with Tigger,
The therapist said" Riley, hey, buddy, how about we talk?" I looked up, and to her," What happened at the station must have been very scary, huh?" I nodded," Wanna tell me what happened?"
I said" Matt wason crazy train."
" And who told you that?"
" Nobody."
" Was it scary?"
" Yeah."
" Your daddy says you're not as scared as you should be, why do you think he said something like that?"
" 'Cause Stiles was there."
" And you know your big brother would protect you from everything?"
" Yeah, he superhero."
" Okay, and what if Stiles wasn't with you?"
" He was."
" But let's say if he was in another room away from you, would you have been scared then?" I nodded my head," Okay, and why?"
" Stiles keep me safe. Alays there."
" And if he wasn't?"
" Not safe."
" How do you feel right now? With your big brother away from you?"
" I want Stiles."
" I think you're being a really brave kid, Riley, and I don't think you always need Stiles to protect you." I looked at the door, I could hear Stiles' heart from here," We've still got 15 more minutes, Riley." I looked at her, nodding my head," And what about when you heard that gunshot? Huh? Did that make you scared?" Stiles say I'm not supposed to to talk about Scotty getting hurt.
" Yeah."
" Did you think Matt would have hurt you?"
" Yeah."
" And how did that make you feel? Knowing Matt could have hurt you?" I started shaking,
" I want Stiles!"
" Calm down, it's just a question." I breathed really hard,
I screamed" I want Stiles! I want! I want! I want! Stiles! I want Stiles! I want Stiles!" I stomped my feet, pushing a chair over," I want Stiles! I want Stiles! Stiles! Stiles?! Stiles!" The door opened, I turned and ran to Stiles, I dug my face into his shoulder, whimpering.
I was put into my seat, Stiles rubbed my head,
He said" Hey, bub, back in the jeep now." I opened my eyes, rubbing my eyes," Hey, hey, it's okay, it's over, that didn't make anything any better, huh?" I shook my head," Wanna go home and watch a movie?" I nodded my head," Okay, bub, gotta be more careful about where you nearly destroy the place." He leaned back up, and started the car, I closed my eyes, yawning.
——
Coach said" Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will be joining others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind." I looked at Melissa,
She said" What?"
" Mankind- that word should have a new meaning for all of us today." She pat Stiles' shoulder,
" What the hell is he talking about?"
Stiles said" He does this every year."
" Seriously?"
" Yeah." I nodded my head, I rubbed my nose, holding Stiles' hand, everyone yelled after Coach said something else.
" Wait, is this?"
" Yeah, it's the speech from Independence Day."
Coach said" But as the day the world declared in one voice..."
" Coach's favorite movie."
" We will not go quietly into the night!"
Melissa said" He doesn't know any sport speeches?"
Stiles said" I don't think he cares."
Coach said" Today we celebrate our independence day!" Then I saw Gerard, I squeaked and hid behind Stiles more.
He said" Well spoken, Coach. I might have chosen something with a little more historical value, but there's no denying your passion. And while I haven't been here long, there's no denying my pride in having a winning team for this school. I know you'll all be brilliant tonight, even with only one co-captain leading you. Now, I'm your principal, but I'm also a fan. So don't think I'll be content to watch you merely beat this team. Get out there and murder them."
" You heard the man. Asses on the field!" Stiles grabbed my arm as everyone ran pass us, I gulped, I wanna go home.

We were on the field,
Scott said" Your dad coming?"
Stiles said" Yeah, he's already here."
" You seen Allison?"
" No, you seen Lydia?"
" Not yet."
" You know what's going on?"
" Not yet."
" It's going to be bad, isn't it? I mean, like people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?"
" Looks like it."
" Scott, the other night seeing my dad get hit over the head by Matt, you know, while I'm just lying there and I can't even move, it just- I want to help, you know, but I can't do the things that you can do. I can't..."
" It's okay."
" We're losing, dude."
Coach said" The hell are you talking about?" We looked at Coach," Game hasn't even started. Now put on your helmet and get out there. You're in for Greenberg."
" What? What happened to Greenberg?"
" What happened to Greenberg? He sucks. You suck slightly less."
" I'm playing?" I smiled," On the field? With the team?"
" Yes, unless you'd rather play with yourself."
" I already did that today, twice."
" Get the hell out there!" I moved to Scott's lap as Stiles flailed around to get his gear. He got up and ran over the field, I looked at Stiles, he rubbed my head.
I heard daddy say" My son is on the field!" Standing up, I giggled, nuzzling my face against Scott's neck,
I heard Gerard say" Scott? Can you hear me? Ah, you can. Good." I held onto Scott's jersey," Then listen closely because the game is about to get interesting. Let's put a real clock on this game, Scott. I'll give you until the last 30 seconds. When that scoreboard clock begins counting down from 30, if you haven't given me Derek, then Jackson is gonna kill someone. So tell me, Scott, who's gonna die tonight? Should it be your mother, who so bravely came out to support you? Or the sheriff, your best friend's father? Or Riley, your best friend's little brother?" I whimpered, scott's arm wrapped around me tighter," Or how about the pretty little redhead who managed to survive the bite of an alpha? Or maybe one of these innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them? Or should I do everyone a favor and kill that ridiculous coach? It's up to you, Scott. But you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don't... I'll have Jackson rip someone's head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood." The whistle blew, I whimpered, looking at Scott, he laid his chin on my head.
We watched Stiles get pushed down two times, Scott rubbed his face with his hand. Then the ball hit Stiles on the helmet, the whistle blew, Scott went to get up. Coach pushed him back down,
Coach said" Sit down, McCall."
Scott said" But, Coach, we're dying out there."
" Oh, I'm aware of that. Now sit." He walked away, then Isaac sat next to us,
Scott look at him.
" You came to help?"
Isaac said" I came to win." We looked at Gerard, I nuzzled my face against Scott's arm." You got a plan yet?"
" No, right now it's pretty much just keep Jackson from killing anyone."
" Well, that might be a lot easier if you're actually in the game. We have to make it so Coach has no choice but to play you."
" How do we do that? He's got a bench full of guys he can use before he ever puts me on the field." I looked at Scotty," Can you do it without putting anyone in the hospital?"
" I can try." Isaac went out on the field,
I said" Scotty?" Scott looked at me, smiling at me," Is Stiles right? Gerard gonna make Jackson kill?"
Scott said" Yeah, bub, but I'm gonna try and stop it, that's why Isaac's on the field, taking out our players."
" Gerard really kill me?"
" I'd never let that happen, Riley, ever. I'd never let anyone hurt you."

Isaac was taking out players really fast, Coach kept putting in players but he was running out. Then Jackson tackled Isaac, Isaac fell, Scott stood up, he ran onto the field. I stood on the bench, I whimpered as they put Isaac onto a stretcher. Scott started playing, I whimpered, then I saw Scott fall, then Stiles. I looked around, Gerard wasn't where he's been, Isaac's alone, oh no.
I whimpered" Scotty?" Scott looked at me then ran off the field, I gulped, pulling my knees up.
I saw Stiles get the ball, then he ran to the goal, I smiled, then he saw the players chasing him, He screamed, I giggled. Coach was yelling at him,
Lydia screamed" Shoot it!"
I screamed" Stiles!" Then he shot it and really scored,
He screamed" I scored a goal! I scored a goal! I scored a goal!" Then the game reset, and he scored another goal, I smiled, clapping my hands, giggling.

Everyone was cheering, I looked at the clock, 3-0... thirty. I looked around for Scott, I ran to him, he looked at Jackson. The time kept going down, then the buzzer went off, I gripped Scott's jersey.
Scott said" Nothing happened. Nothing." Then the lights started going out, then it was dark, I heard someone scream. Everyone was running, Scott lifted me up into his arms, I held onto his jersey, whimpering.
Melissa screamed" Scott! Scott?!"
" Mom, mom, mom! Are you okay?"
" Yeah, I'm fine, i'm fine. But somebody is hurt. Somebody is down on the field." The lights came back on, we started going to the middle of the field. Scott held the back of my head to keep me from looking that way,
Lydia said" There's blood. There's blood."
Scott said" Look."
Isaac said" He did it to himself?"
I heard Daddy say" Stiles. Where's Stiles? Where-Where's my son? Where's Stiles? Where's Stiles? Where the hell is my son?" I tugged at Scott's jersey, I want Stiles! I squirmed in his arms.