Prologue

Five Years Ago

CRYSTAL MYERS

"Look at that guy over there," my best friend said while tapping my shoulder and pointing at a random man. "Jayla, don't you know it's rude to point at people?" I scold her, slightly embarrassed. She shushed me and forcefully turned my head to look at the guy she was talking about. "You two would make beautiful children," she said playfully. I rolled my eyes in response.

The man in question had a full head of wavy, blond hair. He looked to be around six feet tall. Which was way more than my five foot five inches. A beautiful pair of emerald green eyes peered back at me. I looked away, awkwardness swallowing me whole. I was not drunk enough for this.

I tried to resist the urge to not look at him again but I failed, somewhat miserably. He was now heading in my direction. Maybe he isn't coming to me but someone else - I tried to calm my growing nerves. We're at a college party with watered-down beer in a poorly lit space. It was possible I was just being delusional.

I turned back to Jayla who was looking at me with a knowing look. I was about to tell her to leave me alone but I felt a presence behind me. "Hi," I heard a deep but soft voice say. Jayla raised her eyebrow, silently communicating with me. "Uh... Hey," I answered the mystery man with dreamy emerald green eyes.

He smiled at me, showing his straight white teeth. All I was able to do was muster up a shy smile. "I saw you looking at me from over there and decided to talk to you," he told me. "We can pretend I wasn't starting, my best friend was trying to get me to talk to you," I said. I will kill Jayla later on for this, but for now, I'll talk to him. "What's your name, pretty girl? He inquired. "Well, pretty boy, my name's Crystal," I answered. "How about you? What's your name?" I asked. "You can call me Jay," he said, a small smirk resting on his lips.

"Will you dance with me, Crystal?" he asks. There's no harm in dancing so I accept his offer. He leads me to the makeshift dance floor. People were grinding on each other to the sultry music the DJ played.

I pressed my backside against him and began grinding to the music. He placed his hands gently on my waist, somewhat guiding my movement. The atmosphere around us got hot real quick. We spent the next few minutes enjoying each other's company and having a good time on the dance floor.

"Do you want to go to my apartment," he asked me. "We don't have to do anything you don't want to," he added, a bit of nervousness seeping into his voice. "Sure, let's go," I accepted. We were both tipsy, not yet to the point of being drunk. We have been drinking alcohol tonight.

✬ ✬ ✬ ✬ ✬✪✬ ✬ ✬ ✬ ✬

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" Jayla asked, worry swimming in her brown eyes. Here she was, for the second time today, holding my hair back as I hunch over the toilet, vomiting. "Yup, I think so," I tell her, sounding unsure.

"Maybe you just have a stomach bug or the flu or something," she says. She's probably trying to sway my mind from the obvious thoughts we're both having. "To think of it, I've been feeling sick for the past two months," I expressed. "Oh okay, tell me what you're feeling,"

"My breast has been sore and obviously vomiting," I say. "Oh, shit - I hadn't got my period either," I say, worry crawling up my throat. I felt hot so I sat down. I needed to calm myself. "Okay, let's face it. We're both medical students, babes, those are signs of pregnancy," she says.

This was not the time for me to have a child. "Do you think we should go buy a test?" I asked. "Yeah, it's better to find out if you actually are, because we would be stressing for no reason if you're not.

We bought the test and we went back to our dorm. I then peed on the stick and we waited ten minutes until we could look at the results. "Okay, you tell me what it says," I told her. She took one look at the test and I could tell that it was positive from her expression. It screamed pity and the worst part - I don't know where to find its dad.