Chapter 2

Third Year in Junior High:

Saru and I were practicing at the local gym. I stood next to the net waiting for my brother to throw the ball above my head.

"Saru, one more!" I shouted as I bend my knees and kept my eyes on the ball which was on his hands.

"Yeah!" He threw the ball in the air and started jogging towards me. I looked up and positioned my hands as the ball spun down just above my head.

I set the ball with my fingers and send the ball flying high but not to close to the net. Saru jumped and spiked the ball with all his might. It landed at the other side of the court with a loud thud.

"Saru, that was amazing! Let's do another one!" I closed my fists and I was sure that my eyes were sparkling.

My twin smiled as he put his right hand on his hip. "Sure. One more."

I went under the net to retrieve the ball. I got in position and as usual Saru threw the ball and started running.

I set the ball but this time it was too high. "Ah sorry! It's too high!" Saru couldn't reach and only managed to touch the ball with his three fingertips. It looked like a feint though.

Saru only smiled and put a hand on my shoulder, "It's okay. That's why we practice."

"Saru...!" I said as my eyes were tearing up. He panicked and placed both of his hands on my shoulders and began shaking me back and forth.

"I still don't understand why you're not a wing spiker." I suddenly spat out and sighed. "I mean, you can jump well and spike powerful spikes. You can't be flashy being the libero though."

"I don't need to be flashy to win." Saru smiled at me with a proud expression on his face. I was surprised at his statement.

"Well, volleyball isn't just about spikes you know." He continued. "I can't do mid-air battles well, so I will be the one on ground, putting the ball up for my teammates."

He smiled as he closed both of his fists. "Receiving fast and strong spikes successfully and catching off-court balls is the best feeling I have when playing. It's satisfying when you counter the opponent's best move."